Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 391 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Hello -- My daughter was recently tested for a special gifted program at our school district. She is in 4th grade, and was given the CoGAT and the ITBS reading and math, both 6th grade level. The tests were hand-scored, not sent in for scanning.

On her ITBS math score, the chart we received says the following:

ITBS math standard score/percentile:
    guaranteed placement: 236/95% or higher
    consideration for placement: 255/94% or higher
    your child's scores: 242/<94

Below that it says:
    ITBS math total standard score/percentile:
    guaranteed placement: 229/95%
    consideration for placement: 249/94%
    your child's scores: 234/<94%

Based on this, it says my child did not qualify for the program. She needs a 94% on this to qualify (she received a 99% on CoGAT and ITBS reading). I am not understanding these scores. In both cases, her standard score number is in between the standard score numbers for 94th and 95th percent. (236<242<255, and 229<234<249) I have reached out to the office who administered the test, but have yet to receive a response. Can anyone explain this to me? It's important, as it's the only score that keeps her out of this program. Thank you!!

Last edited by mom22gr8grlz; 04/28/16 07:40 AM.
    P
    P
    Something is recorded incorrectly on the chart you received if you've copied the numbers exactly as they are on the chart in your post above. You have higher standard score numbers than percentages in both cases. For instance, under guaranteed placement for math requires 236 SS, consideration for placement requires 255 SS. It doesn't make sense that the standard score for guaranteed placement would be lower than the standard score for consideration for placement. I'm guessing those two numbers were accidentally flipped, or they are altogether incorrect. If they're flipped, it looks like your dd's scores fall in between the guaranteed and consideration cut-offs, so she didn't make the cut-off for guaranteed placement but still might be considered.

Let us know what you here back from the school re the report!

Best wishes,

polarbear

P
    P
    It is possible the non response is because they now know tbey have completely screwed up and are working out damage limitation.

Is the standard to give the itbs for two grades ahead and then only accept kids who make the 95th percentile on that? That seems like a high standard.

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    Given the standard scores, it appears that they gave the 6th grade ITBS but had the scores reported as compared to 4th graders. The standard scores for a 6th grader at those percentiles would be more like 280.

That makes sense, and is probably the better way to go about it. Higher ceiling and demonstration of readiness for accelerated curriculum both get covered in that.

L
    L
    Originally Posted by Kai
    Given the standard scores, it appears that they gave the 6th grade ITBS but had the scores reported as compared to 4th graders. The standard scores for a 6th grader at those percentiles would be more like 280.

Good point. I don't know if the OP's school is testing using the older ITBS or the newer Iowa Assessments, but if it's the present day Iowa test, I had this chart on hand (for grade-level tests). It indicates the 235 falls at the start of 'proficient' for 5th grade for mid-year (75th percentile), and the 242 is the top of proficient for 5th grade spring testing.
    Standard Scores Achievement levels for Iowa test

Here's a percentile chart (compared to grade-level), which shows you where to compare to 6th graders on that test.
    Percentiles and standard scores by grade-level

M
    OP Offline
    M
    It's a very high standard. Only approximately 60 kids per grade are admitted to this program. The program moves the kids along at a much faster and more in-depth level of instruction. My older daughter is in the program. She is in 8th grade. Some of the students in her group will be taking BC Calculus as freshmen. Everyone will be taking at least Honors Math 3 with Pre Calc.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    And actually, for guaranteed acceptance, they have to have 99 on CogAT, 99 on ITBS either Reading or Math, and at least 95 on the other.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Yes, they give scores against other 4th graders taking the 6th grade test.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM