Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 262 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    My second grade daughter's reading scores seem to consist mainly of multiple choice reading quizzes. She gets two types: grade level reading quizzes and above grade level reading quizzes. She generally scores very well on the above grade level quizzes, but lately she's been bombing the grade level ones. (They usually only have 4-5 questions, so missing one question is a B/C.) The question that she's missing is always about the main idea of a numbered paragraph. In the above level quizzes, she is required to make an inference. In the grade level quizzes, the answer is there in black and white, but there is always a second answer that can make sense as an inference, and that is what she's choosing.

As much as I think picking the main idea out of a list is kind of dumb anyway, I do want her to make good grades--and as a dysgraphic, she's always very borderline with ELA grades as it is because of the writing (and yes, she has a 504). So she needs good grades on these bubble quizzes.

Those of you who are teachers...is this common? It seems like the two level quizzes are teaching different strategies. I'm not sure whether I should just shrug my shoulders and move on or sit down with her and show her how the two different levels are actually looking for different things, and that she should use a different strategy for each level. If that is, in fact, what is happening.

What are your thoughts?

P
    P
    Unhelpful but my thoughts are second graders shoukdn't be getting grades and testing should only be for teacher planning purposes.

U
    U
    Are you in a Common Core state? I've noticed a major change in materials like this when designated as CC test prep. They now appear intentionally designed to confuse, frequently including two highly reasonable answers. DD12's CC workbook (don't get me started!) has had all 3 of us stumped on multiple occasions, and the gifted kids in her class routinely score poorly. I'm waiting for the uproar on this.

U
    U
    Here's an example of the kind of cruddy question DD gets wrong. (The Grandma Talley one.) Who even cares, honestly? What are we even testing with a question like this? It's so micro--not important to the general themes or true comprehension. It burns me up. Seems subjective at best.

http://edexcellence.net/articles/new-york%E2%80%99s-common-core-tests-tough-questions-curious-choices

M
    M
    You should sit down with her and show her how the two levels are different, if you think that will help. One of my son's teachers told me recently that some children have more difficulty with the "easier" multiple choice questions because they are thinking more in depth about the topic than is being tested, if that makes sense.

H
    H
    Does anyone have any resources on how to teach your child about the nuances of multiple choice and strategies? We are having a similar issue and the teacher is not interested in helping with this.

I agree that it doesn't have as much to do with real comprehension, but I also do not see these types of questions going away.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Ugh, Ultramarina, that question would send me over the wall.

In these questions its much easier to see which answer is expected. I could easily teach her that when she's looking at the short reading selection do x and keep doing y when you are looking at the longer one.

But I guess that actually leads to a much larger question which is how much do we try to teach our kids to strategize like this? It just seems so cynical. Ultimately, the type of main idea information they're looking at in the lower lower level quiz will fade out because it's not relevant to real world writing or reading (unless you are reading or writing at a really low level)--same with your example, even though yours is definitely more sophisticated than what I'm talking about.

So do I even waste time going there with her? It would just be about the grade. If she wasn't dysgraphic, I wouldn't care about the grade (and she certainly doesn't care about the grade!) but because of the writing issues, her report card ELA grade ranges from 88-91. So these things matter; she's right on the border. And my fear is that as she gets older, she'll get pushed down to lower level work because I didn't teach her how to do stuff like game these bubble tests.

So my instinct says ignore...once you've developed the actual skill, these contrived paragraphs have nothing to do with real learning. But my gut says she's got to learn to play the game.

I guess that's a way bigger issue than whether or not I choose to go over a couple of comprehension quizzes with her, but that's the heart of what I'm questioning.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Originally Posted by momoftwins
    some children have more difficulty with the "easier" multiple choice questions because they are thinking more in depth about the topic than is being tested, if that makes sense.

This is exactly what is happening. She basically needs to be told to think on one type of quiz and to look on the other.

C
    C
    FWIW my mom was a teacher and I distinctly remember her teaching me that it was all a game that needed to be played (for me it actually helped my attitude towards the whole thing oddly enough but of course YMMV). She flat out taught her elementary aged students strategies for multiple choice tests and this was 30 years ago. She viewed multiple choice test taking as a skill like reading and writing. Sure it isn't a really a useful skill in most of the real world but for 12+ years it is a very necessary one for most people to get to where they eventually want to be in life so you might as well learn to do it to the best of your abilities.

M
    M
    Unfortunately, I think they do need to be taught to answer these types of questions. This has been an issue for one of my children since K, and doesn't seem to be improving.

My twins go to a school that doesn't do a lot of standardized testing or multiple choice worksheets, but I have already been warned by one of their teachers that this year's standardized test scores likely WILL NOT reflect my child's ability or his level of achievement due to this issue.

In talking with him about the test, I understand the problem, but am really not sure how to solve it.

I don't really care about his test scores, as it really doesn't matter right now, but in a couple of years he will be applying to middle school and standardized test scores will actually matter to the school he wants to attend.

I am going to spend a little time going over answering achievement test type questions in the hope that he can learn how to do it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM