Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 117 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    My DS is ADD and seems to have friendships that end because of either his lack of a filter or his anger outbursts. I can't be certain of the details - he's 14. Would telling him that these issues stem from ADD help or hurt? Will it make him feel like he has no control over them and can't change or will it make him feel better because it's "treatable" and out of his control? Anyone have experience with this?

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    Have you told him that his *behavior* is the cause, I mean, regardless of whether it's ADD induced or not? Because that's where I'd start.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Knowledge is definitely power, in my view, but I also tell my students that the ADHD brain is not broken. It's just that some settings and situations don't play to its strengths. Others do. For example, under high stress, when the brain is flooded with dopamine, NT higher cognitive functions tend to deteriorate, while ADHD brains tend to function at a more efficient level. Which is rather important if you're flying a fighter jet, or working in the ER, or on the NYSE floor. Understand yourself, and what settings and scaffolding you need to function at your best in all domains of your life. That's all. Everyone has to, on some level.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    P
    P
    I don't have an ADHD child, but my 2e ds has an expressive language disorder which has made social relationships challenging at times (many times actually!). I think it's extremely important to work with your child to give him an understanding of how his behaviors impact social situations, and give him tools and techniques to deal with his challenges in social situations. I don't focus on "this is happening because of X" as much as "this is how you deal with xxx" when working through how to get through a specific type of social challenge. However, we also have talked about how this is related to his disability, just in the sense that it gives him a context that it's not something intrinsically "wrong" with him. Whether or not it was related to his disability, I believe that it's important to let a child know that this is something they have the power to learn how to deal with and control.

I also agree with aeh's advice, especially this:

Originally Posted by aeh
    Understand yourself, and what settings and scaffolding you need to function at your best in all domains of your life. That's all. Everyone has to, on some level.

My ds had a teacher who used to listen to his struggles but then also remind him that "everyone has something". This really annoyed me at first because I felt like she was somehow saying that the impact of his disability didn't matter.. but what she was really doing (and what *did* happen) over time, was giving him the insight that it's not just kids with expressive language disorders that struggle, that everyone for the most part has something in their life that they have to work at, and that you work through it and don't let it define you. You work through it and move on. That message, which was difficult for *me* to get, really did get through to ds and it is probably the most helpful thing that any one teacher ever did for him, even more so than any help with all of his actual challenges.

Sorry I'm getting a little OT there - but the main idea is, yes, we acknowledge that the disability causes "x", but we don't let the disability be an excuse or let it define who ds is. Hope that makes sense!

Best wishes,

polarbear

T
    OP Offline
    T
    All wonderful advice - thank you all! I also like that snippet about the face that everyone has something and also that the add brain isn't broken and that some settings and situations just don't play to it's strengths. Thank you all so much. I will discuss it with him.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent