Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 192 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    N
    Nullset Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    My son is 12 years old, so in about 1.5 years he is going to high school and I don't know what to do with him? He self-taught himself university mathematics and is learning university physics. He also took a university course and got the second highest mark.

We took him to a psychologist and in every subject on the WIAT IV he was at a grade 11 level or higher. I don't know what to do in high school? Any suggestions?

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    First, welcome!

Second, some technical notes:
    I assume that was the WIAT-III (the IV has not yet been published)? Also, grade equivalents should be interpreted and used with extreme caution, as they have very little relationship to the actual performance, or grade expectations for, students at those nominal grade levels, being essentially statistical transformations of median performance in the standardization group, rather than actual comprehensive measures of performance or expectations.

Obviously, he is very capable, and academically skilled, but I would rely less on the WIAT-III results, and more on his actual performance on university-level coursework, in attempting to place his appropriate academic level.

There are a number of current and past threads, mostly in the Learning Environment forum, I think, regarding radical acceleration, that might be of interest to you. One of your options may be not to do high school in any traditional sense. I take it he had a good experience with the university course he attended? That suggests that he may be an appropriate candidate for simply moving on to more university courses, in-person, or through online, extension, or blended courses, or to nominal homeschooling, using dual enrollment in college courses. (Depending on his holistic development; that will be a question for you and he to contemplate.)

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Have you looked into applying to the Davidson Academy? He sounds like a good candidate, although you would need an ACT score to apply.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations