Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    I wrote an email to DS's teacher this morning and told her about DS not been accepted and possible suggestions of appealing the decision. His teacher is supportive of appealing, much to my surprise, as I did not think she would be supportive of anything that is not in line with the school district's decision. Instead of giving me specific suggestions, she agreed that DS is a fast learner with different learning style that would benefit tremendously from the pull out GT program. She also agreed that DS's vision issue has most likely impacted his class room performance and grades in the first semester, which was used as one of the qualifying criteria. As after the vision therapy, DS's reading comprehension has taken off. although I am still not convinced it is directly as result of vision therapy. She asked me to keep her updated on the progress.

I am trying to make up my mind whether to appeal with his WISC IV score, with Vision doctor's report. or wait until he is retested with V, hoping for a better result. The school district is very inflexible that I've never heard anyone appeal the GT decision. The process is so in-transparent that I don't even know where to start. The program is very competitive that only 1/3 of applicants can get in based on the relative ranking of multiple achievement scores.

I think it will probably be extremely difficult.. but I feel obligated to try the impossible for my son, just for a chance that he is in a better learning environment.

Any suggestions what to do if I am met with a cold shoulder if I write an email to the district, where should I go next?

S
    S
    I'm very sorry to hear this as well. Personally I would not wait a year. You have to be very nice about this. I would be appealing not just with his "vision problems" but explain why he deserves to be in that program. Absolutely CAN NOT district push in this. You will be applying next year.

I know your teacher is supportive and such, but she may have to write a letter. It always helps to provide teacher with the outline (or entire text). Meaning you need to create an outline of DS achievements. There is still some time to score the points.

It is not necessary what he did, it is how he looks on papers.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by puffin
    It is a common story. Gifted programming is for bright high achievers not those who test gifted.

Sadly, Puffin nailed it. In a district where 3% are in a self-contained gifted classroom and another 15% have pull-out "gifted" services. My DS with a 133 FSIQ and 133 GAI on the WISC (very even profile) and a 131 Cogat is NOT considered gifted because I haven't been hothousing (tutoring/prepping) him. I was actually told by the gifted director that he isn't even close to being gifted.

Last edited by dreamsbig; 04/18/16 08:24 PM.
    W
    W
    ^^^^ This. A thousand times this. What your district has is not a gifted program. It is a high achievers program. You can tell by the screening process. They are looking at achievement scores only.

Plus, with your kid as math loving as he is, this so-called "TAG" program is probably not going to fit if they won't accelerate. You might want to look at other options for your child. We finally had to do that.

J
    J
    I would have mixed feelings about classroom grades being a factor of a gifted program. DS8 this year got failing math grades on a few papers because he refused to show his work. He would always get the answer right, but his teacher wouldn't give him credit because he wouldn't draw on the paper how he knew it. His excuse was that if he could do it in his head without writing it down, why should he have to bother? He isn't very motivated by grades or pleasing his teacher, unfortunately. In fact, he always seems to seek out an opportunity for an argument....

But I stray off topic...😀

P
    OP Offline
    P
    Thanks all for your replied and it feels not alone that many has similar experiences that truly gifted children are excluded from district gifted program.

We have not given up yet, as the school years draws to the end, the gate office is filling a few remaining spots left by admitted kids who decide not to attend for various reasons.

What would you think if I provide a letter of recommendation for my son's teacher and ask her to send to the gate office. Would that really be considered pushy?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM