Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 391 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Hi, All. I have a dd age 4y4m. I wasn't going to test her, but apparently the only free prek I can get her into is GT only. We waitlisted for the other schools that are not GT. So, she will have to take the WPPSII (3?) and the Woodcock. My older dd, age 8, took this and was assigned a 135 IQ. The two kiddos are not alike. While dd2 is bright, if she is, it is less obvious. She does do many amazing things. Her drawings are like those of a 2nd grader. However, she doesn't know ANY sight words. She can do a 100 piece puzzle or more, but misses some of the letters of the alphabet. DD1 had the alphabet down at 18 months and was reading full on books at 3. So, I have my doubts. This is about $10700 on the line. Any ideas for how to help her?? I have about 3-4 weeks. I should add that I am a teacher with a wealth of materials.

Thanks!!

P
    P
    There is not anything you can do except make sure she has a good nights sleep, is fed and not stressed. If she is an active child some exercise before hand might be good. I wouldn't base anything on your comparison with your older child though. Statistically she is probably within 10 points (assuming a full sibling) but you can't know until you test.

Last edited by puffin; 04/05/16 12:30 PM.
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    I hear ya. I just recall dd1 being annoyed that she said one of the words wrong on the reading list and flat out refusing to read any more words because of this. So, I wondered if actually practicing Dolch words or whatnot would be in any way helpful. She has already done prescreening. I was told she would likely fall at 2 standard deviations above, but not necessarily the 3 SDs required for our preK. So frustrating!

P
    P
    I personally don't think there's much you can do to prep for the WISC or WJ other than get a good night's sleep and let your child know something about where they are going, that they'll be talking to a person who will have questions for them, that they'll probably get to answer some fun questions, and not to worry if they don't know an answer.

However - I would also reassure you about one thing - not all HG/EG/PG kids start reading early or verbalize amazing thoughts at a young age etc. Your description of your dd is very similar to my EG ds at the same age:

Originally Posted by momto2ms
    She does do many amazing things. Her drawings are like those of a 2nd grader. However, she doesn't know ANY sight words. She can do a 100 piece puzzle or more, but misses some of the letters of the alphabet.

Try not to worry too much about the testing - I know that's easier said than done, but really and truly, while reading at 2 is a sign that a child is most likely gifted, *not* reading at two, and not knowing all your alphabet at 4... doesn't mean a chid is *not* gifted. If anything, it just means they are potentially less likely recognized as being gifted because our society has this expectation that "gifted" means "early reading, little professor" etc.

Best wishes,

polarbear

C
    C
    Ditto above posters comments. FWIW, our PG child didn't really start reading until about age 5. Then he consumed all the books in the children's section in a school year (only a slight exaggeration). So as mentioned above, not reading at that age doesn't equal not very gifted.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations