Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 311 guests, and 9 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    jane7 #229139 04/04/16 10:00 AM
    V
    V
    It seems a little weird that reading scores would be so much different than English. One would think they are closely correlated. Does anyone have some insight?

jane7 #229140 04/04/16 10:05 AM
    S
    S
    I think the reading is an indication of "close reading," i.e., can they interpret text and use it to make inferences about what's happening or going to happen in a story.

English is grammar.

jane7 #229143 04/04/16 10:25 AM
    V
    V
    Got it. So could this have to do with a 4th grader not having enough exposure to 8th grade reading material?

jane7 #229145 04/04/16 10:48 AM
    L
    L
    DD had just taken the EXPLORE before she was WISC tested. I actually asked the tester about why DD's English score might be so much higher than Reading. She was not concerned. She said something along the lines of the Reading questions sometimes being arbitrary.

DD reads constantly. I was actually surprised at the time that Reading was not DD's highest score (instead, English was).

VR00 #229149 04/04/16 11:22 AM
    S
    S
    Originally Posted by VR00
    Got it. So could this have to do with a 4th grader not having enough exposure to 8th grade reading material?

IMO, I think it's more a matter of whether they are mature enough to interpret the "correct" answer. You can find sample questions online if you want to see what types of questions she had to answer.

syoblrig #229167 04/05/16 06:14 AM
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by syoblrig
    I think the reading is an indication of "close reading," i.e., can they interpret text and use it to make inferences about what's happening or going to happen in a story.

English is grammar.
    Since I know nothing about Explore, take this with a grain of salt.... but I can say that inferencing and related skills are still pretty weak in grade 4s: developmentally, reading what the text doesn't say is a skill that grows over time and requires explicit teaching for many kids. For example, my DS's grade 6 English teacher, in a gifted class, has explained to me that a significant portion of the kids in the class struggle hugely with inference and making textual connections, and this is normal.

So based on the many conversations I have been having with grade 4 and 6 teachers this year about the age of readiness for these specific kinds of tasks, it makes sense to me that so many of you report younger children doing much better on the clear, rules-based part of the Explore than the inferencing et al bits.

jane7 #229172 04/05/16 07:42 AM
    G
    G
    We received our test scores on Saturday as well. Not what I expected!! DD12 (6th grade) did much better than I thought she would. She did well (though not DYS high) in math and science and rhetorical skills (English) Her lowest score was reading. Actually the reading score did not surprise me as she is a mathy kid and not labelled gifted in language arts.

I'm not sure what to think about DD10 (also in 6th, grade accelerated). She has now taken a 3 year above level on the Iowa test and this Explore test which, if she is age-wise a young 5th grader and school-wise a 6th grader, is Explore a 2 or 3 year above level test? Science was her strong point on the Iowa, but not on the Explore. Reading was her best on the Explore.She does not like being tested (she very grudgingly took this test!!) and is ADHD inattentive. I was hoping to get a sense of where she is, but I don't know if this gives me a clear picture of what's in her head. My biggest surprise was that her sister received better scores than she did knowing what DD10's WISC score is.

jane7 #229235 04/06/16 12:05 PM
    V
    V
    Greenlotus if I understand right you expected your DD10 to do better than your DD12 on the test. Is that correct? I am not sure this would be the case. Unlike WISC the EXPLORE is not an IQ test but a knowledge test. So age and maturity probably have a major role to play.

I would have the same overall assessment on the DYS numbers for EXPLORE. The numbers have probably been created based on the same percentile expectations as of those on WISC. But because of the age issue I suspect hitting the percentile on EXPLORE in younger grades is rarer than on the WISC. Hence the issues of DYSs not hitting the numbers in EXPLORE.

Loy58 #229237 04/06/16 01:23 PM
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by Loy58
    ConnectingDots - I believe that those scores would have been DYS-level up to the last "update" to the requirements. They are very good scores.

We also had a rather large gap between DD's English and Reading when she last took it. DD's English score was much higher.

Thank you for helping put this into perspective. smile

I am surprised that the rhetorical score is so much higher than the mechanics on the English portion. Then again, he may have been flying through the mechanics part and overlooked some key details. It's been known to happen...

greenlotus #229238 04/06/16 01:40 PM
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by greenlotus
    We received our test scores on Saturday as well. Not what I expected!! DD12 (6th grade) did much better than I thought she would. She did well (though not DYS high) in math and science and rhetorical skills (English) Her lowest score was reading. Actually the reading score did not surprise me as she is a mathy kid and not labelled gifted in language arts.

I'm not sure what to think about DD10 (also in 6th, grade accelerated). She has now taken a 3 year above level on the Iowa test and this Explore test which, if she is age-wise a young 5th grader and school-wise a 6th grader, is Explore a 2 or 3 year above level test? Science was her strong point on the Iowa, but not on the Explore. Reading was her best on the Explore.She does not like being tested (she very grudgingly took this test!!) and is ADHD inattentive. I was hoping to get a sense of where she is, but I don't know if this gives me a clear picture of what's in her head. My biggest surprise was that her sister received better scores than she did knowing what DD10's WISC score is.

Given that your DD10 didn't want to take the test, her results may show that she wasn't that into it...

My understanding is that it is normally taken by 8th graders at the start of the school year, so it would be two years above grade level (roughly) for a 6th grader.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM