Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 417 guests, and 45 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    Belle #22958 08/15/08 08:29 PM
    It sounds like she's got a wee bit of a control issue, doesn't it?

Hopefully she'll outgrow it as her child gets older. smile

Kriston
    Kriston #22960 08/15/08 09:11 PM
    Oh my Belle, the videos didn't bother me (I saw only 2), but your description did. It sounds like the mother has quite a few problems herself. Is she trying to proof something to herself? Yes, she is bragging to the extreme and pretty much telling everybody that no other child is worth her own.

I would actually say that she did some reading about gt kids. The part about her daughter needing 1st graders points that way.

I hope she doesn't put too much pressure on her daughter. I feel some parents can get all wrapped in IQ scores, testing, school applications, being better, smarter and learning all that time that it becomes their major concern and goal. They forget that following the child lead especially at this age is the best thing to do and if the kid wants to play with dolls and do nothing else for two weeks then it's fine.

LMom
    LMom #22961 08/15/08 09:51 PM
    Hmmmm. Even though DS was mystified by some other kids' behaviors at age 2, I didn't isolate him. I think it's important for kids to learn how to deal with other people. Even people who are not always nice.

I also hate people feeding my kids junk food, but I haven't pulled them from school, I just ask people to stop giving my kids junk...

Wait a minute. I think I see a pattern here...maybe she thinks that if people don't live up to your expectations the thing to do is just give up and leave. Sounds kind of lonely, especially if you have such high standards frown

Cathy A #22968 08/16/08 05:55 AM
    I agree with other posters on the videos being benign. But I do think it's ridiculous to say that a two year old has run out of resources.

Belle's description has me thinking that the child's mother is looking for publicity and perhaps money. We're all aware of the risks of media exposure and the nastiness that can accompany it, even if an interview or article is positive, it will bring negative comments and accusations. Maybe you could pass that on to your friend, Belle- once her daughter's name is out there, it will give the crazies free reign.

Lorel #22978 08/16/08 08:34 AM
    Ooooh! Good point, Lorel!

Oh, I so hope that's not what she's after! I thought she just wanted attention from people she knew, but I can totally see it going the route you're describing...

Oh, now I feel sad for the kid. *sigh* I hope that's not what's going on.

Hey, Belle, have you asked her straight out, "What are you looking for? I'd like to help, but I'm not sure I understand what exactly you're trying to find. Can you point me in the right direction?"

Maybe you can get a better idea of what she's thinking then?

Kriston
    Kriston #22983 08/16/08 09:01 AM
    That's a good way to phrase it. I do think parenting a young GT/HG/PG child can be anxiety provoking, right?

Perhaps anxiety is manifesting itself this way. I think knowing a few parents and kids in the same situation can go a long way with making all this easier.

incogneato #23066 08/17/08 03:39 PM
    I saw the one video, I thought she's a cute little kid, but is she really doing anything exceptional?

Then I read this a couple posts back:
    the average 2 year old says mine, grabs, hits, some bite. (she has never done any of this due to my method of guidance. she does not understand why other kids do it and takes it personal.)
    hehehehe, I hope she wakes up soon; that dream will eventually end and the sooner the better so mom is prepared for reality!

OHGrandma #23070 08/17/08 03:55 PM
    LOL! Ah, so right, OHG! I'm still chuckling over your post. laugh

Kriston
    OHGrandma #23075 08/17/08 05:26 PM
    K
    K
    Originally Posted by OHGrandma
    Then I read this a couple posts back:
    the average 2 year old says mine, grabs, hits, some bite. (she has never done any of this due to my method of guidance. she does not understand why other kids do it and takes it personal.)
    hehehehe, I hope she wakes up soon; that dream will eventually end and the sooner the better so mom is prepared for reality!

LOL OHG! Isn't that the truth! I remember being in that bubble for a (very) short period of time with my perfect (ha!) first child. (under my perfect guidance, no doubt.) grin

kimck #23077 08/17/08 06:03 PM
    Mia Offline
    Oh, my. KG was doing similar things at a similar age (and more), but I wasn't thinking much of it at the time -- if anything, I was *censoring* myself on my birth board so that others wouldn't feel bad! I didn't think it was all that unusual, tbh, and wasn't exactly out of resources ... I'd just hand him my cell phone and tell him we were leaving the park in 5 minutes, and he'd figure out when that would be, LOL! No pricey resource there. smile

I feel bad for the little girl ... The mother sounds like she has some serious insecurity issues. However, the little one is clearly quite bright. I hope everything works out for them ... Honestly, I'd worry about the kid getting a "better than thou" attitude with all the exposure. Sad to say, but I do wonder if the mom is looking to be the next guess on Letterman ...

Mia
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs