Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 88 guests, and 41 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    M
    mom2R&R Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Hi Everyone- My DS6 took the WISC-V and I had a question about the results. Specifically, that his processing speed seems considerably lower than his other scores.
    Verbal Comprehension (VCI)-136
    Visual Spatial (VSI)-147
    Fluid Reasoning (FRI)-144
    Working Memory (WMI)*-127
    Processing Speed (PSI)-103
    Full Scale (FSIQ)*-141
    General Ability Index (GAI)-147

His examiner wrote in the report about the processing speed:
    "Processing Speed requires rapid and efficient information processing, visual discrimination, focused attention, and the ability to perform under conditions of pressure and high arousal (i.e. when being timed). DS scored in the Average range on the WISC-V Processing Speed Index (PSI) (SS=103; 58%). Personal weaknesses in processing speed can be indicative of weakness in executive functioning and/or attentional control.
    DS scored in the Average range on the Symbol Search subtest (ScS=9), which required him to detect symbols within an array. DS worked quickly, but made three, likely careless, errors while rushing to beat the clock. This suggests that DS may sometimes sacrifice accuracy for speed. DS scored at the highest end of the Average range on the Coding subtest (ScS=12). The Coding subtest required DS to encode symbols matched with numbers, and then to write the corresponding symbol under each prompt number. DS worked accurately and at an age appropriate pace. He appeared to memorize the symbols as he worked."

And in the summary, she stated, "DS Working Memory was inconsistent and indicative of a mild personal weakness which may indicate mild weaknesses in executive functioning and/or attentional control. DS demonstrated stronger visual working memory than auditory working memory. However, his overall working memory is still well-developed compared to same age peers, ranging from High Average to Very Superior. Similarly, though DS personally slower processing speed and occasional carelessness under time pressure may be indicative of executive functioning weakness, it may simply indicate that DS works at an age appropriate pace. He earned an Average WISC-V Processing Speed score. On other tasks which required DS to complete items in a specific amount of time, his speed was variable. He often worked quite quickly, though when items were extremely challenging, he sometimes required additional time to demonstrate his full knowledge and ability. DS was attentive and engaged. His activity level was appropriate for a six year old. Thus, at this time, this evaluator’s concerns about DS attention and executive functioning are minor."

So my question is, we have not noticed any indications of ADHD or executive function problems at home or school. What might this look like? People have always commented on what a surprising long attention span he has. He comes home from first grade, gets a snack, unpacks and does his homework without any prompting. I don't need to repeat multi-step directions. Any other ideas? Anything else stand out as significant? Thank you so much!

Last edited by mom2R&R; 03/25/16 06:54 PM.
    E
    E
    First, those are some nice scores, and you should be applying to Davidson for him.

Second, in the absence of other reasons for concern, I would just wait and see if problems develop. He doesn't seem to be having issues right now. Lots of gifted kids have profiles like this, especially at his age.

May I ask why you had him tested? If you already do have issues with executive functioning or attention, then these findings are worth following up on now. If you don't have concerns and were just looking for gifted program admission or to get into Davidson or something, then I don't think you need to worry at all right now.

M
    mom2R&R Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Thank you ElizabethN. We are not having problems right now, we were just looking for some answers to better understand him. When we met with his school to look into how we could better meet his needs (especially in math) they made comments like, "he's an anomaly" and "no other students like him". They (public school) were accommodating and moved him up 2 grades in math, which he is thriving in. Some comments were made that he seems to just be really good at math, but we suspected it was a little more than that. We are however, a little shocked at his scores and need to process exactly what to do with them. :-)

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    You may wish to remove references to your DC's real name from your post, as these are public fora.

I would echo beginning from the child to interpret scores.

As to the much lower PSI: there are many other explanations for lower PSI, besides ADHD or EF, especially in very young children. In some cases, they are unaccustomed to timed tests, or have age-appropriate fine motor development (that gates pencil-and-paper processing speed performance), or are especially conscientious and reflective workers (probably not this one, since the examiner notes careless errors). There may be other concerns that affect PSI, such as visual tracking or acuity (sometimes you'll also see some effects in Block Design, one of the VSI subtests--though not always). Just a few items from a long list of possible factors.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    M
    mom2R&R Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Thank you ash- I updated the post to remove his name. Thank you for also listing other possible explanations. I'm pretty certain he is unfamiliar with timed tests, and my guess is that it probably made him a bit anxious. His fine motor skills I believe have now caught up to age-appropriate, but are by no means a strength, so that could play a part too. You mentioned his block design subtest, and he scored an 18 on that, which she stated was very superior, so I'm not seeing a problem there at this time.

I guess now we move on to... what do we do with him? I feel our school is willing to work with us, but I'm not even sure what to advocate for. He said yesterday that he didn't like science, which surprised and saddened me. I responded by saying, "That surprises me, because it seems you like SnapCircuits, electricity, magnets... animals and their habitats, plants and how they produce oxygen, chemistry, ramps and levers, etc. and those are all science..." He then clarified that he doesn't like science at school. Overall, he loves school, especially his advanced math class. He does not want to talk of ever possibly switching schools, or going to another grade than his friends (expect for math...). I'm grateful he's happy, but I'm concerned anytime school starts to diminish his interest in learning.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Your last thought reminded me immediately of my own childhood. In elementary school, I told my mother I didn't like math, for the same reason. I think I thought I wasn't good at it, too, because school math wasn't a rewarding experience for me. (Plus, I had learned all these non-traditional ways of calculating from my parents and older sibling, with which I don't think the teacher was quite comfortable.) That was the impetus for my parents to advocate for some advancement.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...