Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 434 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    OH BKD, I'm in the same situation. I can't question too much b/c I don't want to implant ideas that are not his own. Sometimes I'll happen upon a book with a character facing a similar problem and I can ask "Have you ever felt that way?" I recall one morning which prompted my search for a psych when DS was standing in the door way on the way to the bus stop blubbering, crying, stamping his feet saying "I just can't go to school today. I'm so sick of never learning anything and it's so boring all day long." He was really out of control. I kept him home. I just couldn't send him in that state. I think after that something broke in him, he went to school but had stomach aches every day. Now he's had stomachache this summer when he's had to get up early to go to track practice so I do think his stress-button lies in his stomach, as it does mine, but I"m not sure that having the stomachache a few times this summer negates having it EVERYday, never on a weekend, and never during school when there was a school trip to a science museum. He is also more emotional, prone to outbursts, can't handle simple things like his LEGO creation falling apart etc during school. His emotions are very near the surface during the school year.

Originally Posted by BKD
    I have this terrible vision of my boy in years to come lying on the therapist's bed (does that really happen?) revealing how he was perfectly happy until his neurotic mother sowed the seeds of discontent. And then there's other terrible vision of the scarred child forced to struggle on through a harsh school world by the mother who didn't care enough. A couple of people have assured me that he needs to learn how to cope with school difficulties and shouldn't be mollycoddled. Well yes, I can see the point, but shouldn't they be a little older before you send them out into the world to develop a stiff upper lip?

Ah, I so identify with you here! Threading the needle between not taking enough care and being a helicopter mom is so hard! frown

If it helps, I'd recommend letting go of the worry about your son on the therapist's couch. You're doing your best and that's all you can do. From what I've read and experienced, if you're trying, if you're doing your best, then that alone is often enough to protect your child from a lot of the damage. Even if your tries don't work--even fail miserably!--at least you're in there swinging, and that's what kids need to see so they feel loved, understood and supported.

So mark that one off your guilt list, okay!?! smile

As for the age at which to send kids off to develop the stiff upper lip...I've posted about this before, so I won't go on and on, but I am usually a "suck it up and deal" sort of mom. I detest drama and I don't coddle my kids. Generally speaking, people who have given me "the look" have given it to me because I am not sympathetic enough to my kids, not because I'm babying them.

Then DS7 hit school trouble, and he had the same sorts of emotional drama as your child, and it was cropping up in a big way. As he is not a child usually prone to emotional outbursts, I realized pretty quickly that I had to rethink my position in that instance. It was clear to me that school wasn't good for him, and I am confident that I'm not a hovering, overprotective parent for taking him out of that situation. Just because I'm his teacher now doesn't mean that he's glued to my side. Heck, he's a lot more independent than his neighborhood friends whose moms won't let them out of their sight.

I guess what I'm saying is that there's definitely a middle ground between "suck it up and deal" and hovering. Trust your gut. If you think school is a problem, then it probably is. And you're not being overprotective if you do something about it.

Honest! wink

Kriston
    B
    BKD Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    So mark that one off your guilt list
    Oh, I don't think I'm ready for that yet (clutches list tightly to bosom). I'm quite attached to my list. Isn't nurturing it my sacred motherly duty?

I've emailed the Principal to ask about a meeting with the Guidance Officer and teacher to see if anyone has anything useful to add. And to reinforce that we'd like to be taken seriously.

Dazed, that's such a sad story and must be churning you up. Is there anything you can do about it? This level of distress really shouldn't be part of childhood - how does it keep happening? It's one of those nights - I'd like to hug sad children everywhere.

So today, after another episode yesterday evening and one this morning, we've been blessed with an upset tummy (DS4) and a rash of a rather personal nature (DS6 tomorrow). I've actually started to giggle, albeit slightly hysterically.

And of course sooner or later it will all get sorted out. I'll cross my fingers for sooner, and give my thanks again for all your support & advice.

Peaceful evening wishes.
    BK

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM