Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 106 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by Irena
    Wow so great to have a hockey dad and coach weigh in! I should have known - you being Canadian and all! wink I like your advice!
    Happy it helped. Just to further encourage the Canadian stereotype that EVERYONE plays hockey - I'm actually a hockey mom/player wink

One of the many reasons that we sign our kids up for sports is that there is always a challenge to be had. I personally have learned more on the ice/field about hard work, dedication, taking criticism, never giving up, teamwork, etc than I did in a classroom and as a bonus I managed to have a lot of amazing experiences and friends along the way. I have no expectations that my kids will be superstars - my main goal is that they are still playing/doing *something* when they're my age that keeps them active and makes them happy. Maybe it will be hockey, maybe not, but either way I figure that learning to push themselves and being willing to try new things are key to eventually figuring that out for themselves.

R
    RRD Offline
    R
    Irena, you might also be interested in "Your Fantastic Elastic Brain". It's a picture book but is aimed at slightly older kids because it talks about the anatomy of the brain and how it works. The book's main emphasis is that you need to try new things and make mistakes along the way if you want your brain to grow. I found it useful with DS6 who is an extreme perfectionist and is horrified at the notion of making mistakes. I presume most GCs are pretty cerebral, so it might help for him to understand that mistakes can actually be a "good" thing.

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by chay
    Happy it helped. Just to further encourage the Canadian stereotype that EVERYONE plays hockey - I'm actually a hockey mom/player wink

Ha Ha! So sorry! blush Actually, in my defense I have always thought you were a guy even before this hockey discussion! It's you user name, I think - my DH and I have a friend named Chay and I just associate that name with a guy.

Anyway, thanks!

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by RRD
    Irena, you might also be interested in "Your Fantastic Elastic Brain". It's a picture book but is aimed at slightly older kids because it talks about the anatomy of the brain and how it works. The book's main emphasis is that you need to try new things and make mistakes along the way if you want your brain to grow. I found it useful with DS6 who is an extreme perfectionist and is horrified at the notion of making mistakes. I presume most GCs are pretty cerebral, so it might help for him to understand that mistakes can actually be a "good" thing.

Thanks, this sounds interesting! I will look into it as well...

P
    P
    Irena, Sorry I haven't been here for days. Yes, your frustration with your DS is very familiar! DS11 refuses to be guided or corrected for almost anything he does, therefore, private lessons are almost all a waste of money, even for the activities he claims to enjoy, such as piano. He does enjoy but he just wants to do it his own way. We've came to realize that it's not worth it and have stopped all the activities that he does not enjoy or willingly practice without being reminded or nagged. He still swims 5 days a week, completely at his own will and enjoys it, It's just we don't ask him what his times are and when he would like to participate in the meets. On the other hand, his work habits including writing has improved tremendously over the past year, thanks to two very consistent teacher he adores and appropriate level of challenges. History, humanities and writing are where his strength and interests are, so it was not as hard as asking him to change his swimming strokes or run faster smile
    My point is it is much more efficient to follow the child's lead and let him be himself and accepting and celebrating who he is.

DS still has melt downs over different things, but we've over the time learned how to cope and help hi manage his emotion.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM