Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 133 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    O
    Ocelot Offline OP
    OP Offline
    O
    Hello, I have been following this forum for a while and wanted to finally introduce myself and ask a question. I have DS4 who has never been tested but seems clearly gifted (NT 4 year olds don't call lawn ornaments "sessile," as he did a few days ago), and I suspect 2e. He has been delayed in a few gross motor milestones and is generally poorly coordinated, but until now my DH and I have decided not to intervene as he does not have symptoms of any major neuromuscular disease. We agreed with our Pedi that "some kids are destined to be captain of the chess team, not the football team." However, we decided if it ever caused frustration for him or became an issue in school we would intervene. I think we are there with regards to writing/drawing and his school has recommended an OT evaluation for this. DS is a little perfectionist, and you can tell he knows the other kids can write and draw more easily than him. He has gotten very good at using his verbal strength to try to disguise his weaknesses, for instance by telling us that a colorful amorphous scribble is the aurora borealis. I would love some suggestions about how to discuss the OT evaluation and likely pull-outs with him? I have seen some lovely suggestions on this board about framing cognitive testing as a way to figure out how the child learns best. What has worked for you with regards how to discuss OT with your young verbal perfectionist children?

O
    Ocelot Offline OP
    OP Offline
    O
    Thank you Portia. Yes, my question is how to explain OT to a young child who is inclined to be self-critical. From your post it sounds like not explaining, and talking about it like any other class/activity, might be a reasonable approach, at least unless/until he seems to have questions about it.

P
    P
    Portia gave you excellent advice re how to frame the conversations with your ds; my advice is to start with an eval by a professional before assuming he needs OT - you can explain the eval the way Portia suggested, but I wouldn't talk about going for therapy appointments or pull-outs etc until you knew for sure he will be doing OT past an eval.

FWIW, two of my children have been through different types of OT and one type was fun, the other was drudgery. A lot depends on the type of OT and reason for OT.

Best wishes,

polarbear

D
    D
    When we got sick of medical interventions for strength and motor skills (fine and gross), we did other things. Swimming lessons, horseback riding, and low-level gymnastics are all awesome for overall and core strength, as is Tae Kwon Do.

For fine motor, lots of clay and art, including building out of recyclables. Building things with screws or nuts and bolts. That kind of stuff...

O
    Ocelot Offline OP
    OP Offline
    O
    Thanks Dee Dee, I do agree that real life experiences are hugely important, and I do have some aversion to how much we medicalize kids in our society (probably because I'm in a medical field that deals with kids) , which is why we have held out on OT for so long.
    Your great suggestions made me giggle a bit, however, because my DS has refused so many of the grow motor ones! We actually have horses, and he loves to help feed them, but no way no how is he getting on one, or even an elderly pony at a pony ride. We are currently paused on swim lessons because after a year and a half with various teachers he still won't put his face in the water and insists he is a "surface creature" and it's going to stay that way. One of the swim teachers suggested we sign him up for debate... He loves playground equipment (although he is a bit careful about very high ladders or steep slides), so for now I'm just holding onto the idea that playground climbing and running is pretty complex motor training.

C
    C
    Hi Ocelot - off topic, but re: swimming...
    My DS8 (with dyspraxia/DCD) also refused to put his face in the water for a very long time. We started swim lessons at around 2 yrs old, and he refused to get his head wet until at 7 he suddenly decided he would put his head under. He spend one lesson doing only that for 30 minutes - then he was fine and can now swim (a bit awkwardly, but it works).

Actually, my older DD was similar - and both of them also hate to have their hair washed (still!) - probably a sensory issue. So - you son may learn to swim yet. Actually, my DD started swimming with the dog paddle, which they don't teach in swim lessons, but works and allows you to keep your head above the water!

Both my kids still refuse the whole 'dive in head-first' idea, and my DS is always debating with me the importance/relevance of needing to learn how to roll into the water (a required safety element around here).

Also - seconding Polarbear's suggestion of an eval. We had our DS do an OT eval for handwriting struggles, and that's how we discovered the DCD.

P
    P
    Another idea re swimming and not wanting to put his head underwater - if he'll get into the water, you can teach him how to float on his back and do the backstroke - that's the only way I was able to learn how to swim and it works well!

polarbear

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM