Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 309 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    F
    fjzh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    Platypus101, thanks for that list of fun math! I'll have to look into each more. I seemed to keep hitting road blocks before that they're all for 2nd/3rd grade and up, whereas she's definitely still working on basic addition and subtraction concepts. We've tried Life of Fred, but she revolts at the idea of repeating the books when she gets stuck in the series.

I'm definitely going to continue to look for ideas to combat perfectionism as I really think that's a major issue for her currently.

F
    fjzh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    RRD, are you considering testing your son? I'm still hemming and hawing at the idea, and I'm not sure what it would change if we did. Have you gotten any good ideas for battling the perfectionism? And I just requested our local library purchase that book per your recommendation! Hopefully they do (since no other libraries in the state carry it either).

R
    RRD Offline
    R
    Yes, we're having him privately tested in May. He is also showing signs of a possible LD, so we want to know about his strengths and weaknesses so that we can help him if he needs it. His grade 1 teacher is quite convinced that his output is not reflective of his cognitive abilities. He's doing fine for now, but it could quickly go downhill.

Plus, the psychologist who is going to perform the assessment can also do some counselling re perfectionism and other issues (he is also a bit anxious). It would probably help if she knows exactly what is going on with his abilities and such. So for now, I'm less interested in the gifted assessment and more so in helping him cope with some of the personality traits.

As for fun math books, there are tons! You might want to check out books by Brian P. Cleary (The Mission of Addition, etc. and he also has tons of grammar books as well), Laura Overdeck (Bedtime Math), Greg Tang (Math Fables, etc. - some of them are aimed at basic math and others are much more advanced, so you have to find the right ones), David M. Schwartz (How Much is a Million, etc.). There's also "Hungry for Math", "Math Curse", and "That's a Possibility". Most of these introduce math concepts in a really fun way, and would feel a lot less like pressure. Our boys love them.

F
    fjzh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    RRD, thanks for the further math book recommendations. I am adding them to my list of titles to look into!

L
    L
    I'm pretty sure my DD loved both Penrose the Mathematical Cat and The Number Devil before she had mastered addition. They explore the nature of numbers with fantastical stories and characters. Penrose poses problems, while the Number Devil just tells silly stories. As long as she can follow along while you work the problems, they may be worthwhile. Both of them are more "bedtime stories for the mathy" than curricula.

DD still keeps a whiteboard by her bed for working math problems before she goes to sleep. Makes me smile.

R
    RRD Offline
    R
    Don't you love that stuff? My boys regularly fall asleep clutching books... Makes their book-loving mamma proud! smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM