Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 447 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    I have an 18 month old son. For those of you with older kids, I'm interested in hearing what kinds of enrichment activities you did at home with your kids.

A
    A
    We really didn't do much with our DS7 in terms of enrichment at this age. He basically picked up the alphabets and phonics and writing letters on his own. He learned colors and shapes via iPad apps and educational games. He watched Little Eisenstein and Blue's Clues. We did not introduce him to simple math until he was 3 or 4 years old but sometimes I would use a real life example to teach him simple additions.

LAF Offline
    Honestly, I didn't have a kid that did those things (early math or reading) in fact my kid had Einstein syndrome. So take my advice with a grain of salt, since I didn't have that going on and had a completely different experience than those with children hitting everything early.

That said, I think the best enrichment is spending time with them, talking to them, showing them what you are doing, explaining what you are doing.. when you are cooking, show them measuring… take them to the grocery store and count apples for them, etc. They will pick up on what is developmentally appropriate for them. But always the best enrichment is time with a parent who is interacting with them.

N
    N
    I would also say, especially at this age, physical development is just as important as mental... encourage free play, running and climbing around on playgrounds along with lots of talking, books (if they are interested - DS was into books and DD was more into art but we really just let them drive what the activities would be).

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Our list of enrichment activities:

hug
    play
    read
    outside
    explore

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    C
    C
    We didn't think of anything as enrichment per se. Always had a lot of age-appropriate building materials (MagnaTiles were a lasting favorite); books, music, cars, etc.

One thing that we might have done too much of (because it was fun for us) is always play with him. He didn't spend much alone time playing and we've noticed he, versus our younger child, who got more playing alone time, has some trouble self starting activities. Could just be a personality thing.

D
    D
    Aw! We had the BEST times when my dd10 and ds9 were that age. We went for walks, we cooked together, we went to the zoo, the park, the grocery store, playdates, Music Together, water table, storytime at the library.
    Nothing really that was a curriculum but we made sure that every day had something new in it.
    Those days are long while you're living them but so short looking back. I wish I had a time machine to go back and enjoy a day like that again!

I would say, don't be afraid to use real and varied words around your child. The vocabulary you use around your child is the vocabulary he will use.

Ex. 1: Instead of always referring to the long eared thing jumping around the backyard as a bunny, sometimes call it a rabbit.

Ex. 2: Be specific - after supper, when cleaning the food mess off the kid, don't say give me your hand, say "Give me your right hand." And if the wrong hand is offered, say "No, that is your left hand. Give me your right one."

That last example can be expanded to help with many concepts: you son doesn't need to get his his shirt - it's his blue shirt; don't give him some cookies, give him three cookies, etc.

Best of luck,
    --S.F.

For gifted children, doing nothing is the wrong choice.
    B
    B
    There's no specific tasks you should try and "train" your young toddler with. Lots of reading to them. Read, read, read. Talk to them about the world around them. Talk to them as if they understand much more than you'd assume. Play with them. Let them try new tasks. Have fun.

Z - 01/23/11 and O - 05/12/13
    M
    M
    Moon watching. That was my DD's favorite "enrichment" around that age. She still comments on how beautiful the moon is all the time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM