Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 309 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    T
    T
    Love this: "the potential for harm to a child's disposition to learn by inappropriate acceleration."

Clearly, inappropriate holding back has no potential for harm whatsoever, right? They did not even attempt to have their criteria sound balanced.

Last edited by Tigerle; 07/01/15 11:17 AM.
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by Tigerle
    Love this: "the potential for harm to a child's disposition to learn by inappropriate acceleration."

Clearly, inappropriate holding back has no potential for harm whatsoever, right? They did not even attempt to have their criteria sound balanced.

Tigerle, isn't that amazing? Selective wording, for sure, I suppose one would need something like that to ward off the parents whose child arrived in early Sept. and who now absolutely has to wait a year more for school that those who were able to be born just a wee bit sooner.

There are also references to the "research" about how younger children can be harmed by trying to keep up with older ones. Hmm. I've not come across that research yet. Could it be that children could be harmed if their educational needs aren't met at their level (i.e. no ability grouping) regardless of age, and it's just convenient to blame age?

Oddly enough, our children have flourished in mixed age classrooms starting at very young ages (Montessori and project-based programs). I know that is a sample of two, but having seen more than a hundred kids in the programs go through that experience, I don't think that they were being harmed by "trying to keep up" with older children.

Are these kindergarten curriculums of the 21st century really all that difficult? I keep seeing that claim, but am starting to question whether it is just fluff.

Last edited by ConnectingDots; 07/01/15 11:37 AM.
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Originally Posted by Val
    I'd be wary about assuming that a child who had finished a private kindergarten would be moved quickly into first grade. Schools can be very skeptical about this kind of thing. For example, my eldest was offered a skip to fourth grade at a private school, but we had been thinking about moving him. The public schools in our area all said no to a skip, except for one, which said, "Well, we can put him in 3rd grade for at least 6 weeks and then decide." This was their way of saying no. Moving after 6 weeks would have been too disruptive for him as a new student, and they knew it.

Not all schools are so narrow-minded about acceleration, so my advice would be to call them and ask. Tell them something like, "Little Joey finished kindergarten at a private school, and he turns 6 in February. What's your policy about promotion to first grade?" If you don't like that answer, ask, "What if we kept him in private school for another year? What's about promotion to second grade?"

Some schools are wonderful and will try to work with you. Some have blanket NO ACCELERATION, EVER policies. Others are in between. My advice is to find out where your local principal fits on that spectrum and plan accordingly.
    Here in MA, we know of a family with a bright girl having an autumn birthday who put her in private school for KG and 1st grade, intending to transition to public school for 2nd grade, as two of our children have done. When it was time for her to transfer, the principal strongly encouraged them to put her in 1st grade because the 2nd grade class sizes were getting too large! They agreed, and their daughter was bored in 1st grade. I guess the moral is not to take anything for granted when it comes to acceleration.

Bostonian, I would have never agreed to that after spending two years on private school tuition to meet my child's educational needs. Class size is the principal's problem to solve. Would he/she have suggested that to a family moving into the district with a rising 2nd grader? "Oh, we are out of room, so your child will have to repeat 1st grade since there's space there." Good grief. Logic be damned.

Last edited by ConnectingDots; 07/01/15 11:40 AM.
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by ConnectingDots
    There are also references to the "research" about how younger children can be harmed by trying to keep up with older ones. Hmm. I've not come across that research yet.
    Here is some from the UK:
    How does birth month affect your child's future? find the results here
    by Ami Sedghi
    The Guardian
    November 1, 2011
    Children born in August are more likely to under perform in school compared to the children born in September. How does birth month affect academic results and well-being?

The birth month of young children can affect their well-being as well as test scores, according to research published today by the Institute of Fiscal Studies (IFS).

A report out today suggests that children born in August are more likely to have lower confidence in academic ability and to report being unhappy at school. The results also show that children born in the last month of the academic year are also less likely to attend top universities.
    I have seen research saying that gaps close in post-elementary grades in the U.S., but the point is that educators can point to research showing that the younger children in a class are more likely to struggle in the early grades. And this makes sense, because older children are smarter, have more endurance, and have more self-control on average than younger ones. What is true for children in general is probably not true for high-IQ school starting school early, however.

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by ConnectingDots
    I would have never agreed to that after spending two years on private school tuition to meet my child's educational needs. Class size is the principal's problem to solve. Would he/she have suggested that to a family moving into the district with a rising 2nd grader? "Oh, we are out of room, so your child will have to repeat 1st grade since there's space there." Good grief. Logic be damned.

Now that you mention it, my eldest signed up for honors pre-calculus in tenth grade. The class should have been small-ish, but lots of kids had signed up for non-honors pre-calculus, so the school decided to move some of them into the honors class because of class size issues. I'm not sure how many got moved; my son knew 3 of them personally, but says that there were more.

Fast forward to early January. The teacher got injured and couldn't work. None of the subs could teach pre-calc. One of them told the kids (while doing her knitting), "Honors students can teach themselves." But of course...they weren't all honors students, and even if they were, if they could teach themselves, there wouldn't be much need to take a class, would there?

Fast forward to early March, and they were finally given an online system to use. But...they had to complete the ENTIRE one-year course by Memorial Day (unless they were seniors, in which case it had to be done a few days earlier). And they lost a week to standardized testing in there, to boot.

I have no idea how things shook out for the non-honors and other students, but I remember my son telling me in mid-May that a lot of kids still had so much of the course left that finishing was effectively impossible for them. I felt then, as I do now, that the school cheated children out of a learning experience that they had a right to get.

I
    I
    Funding issues aside, three thoughts:
    3) Iowa Acceleration Scale, 3rd edition (also called IAS or IAS-3)
    2) Recent threads on acceleration
    1) What does the kindergarten program offer, and will that meet your child's academic, intellectual, and social needs?
    Here is a link to a related article, Disillusion With the Perfect School, by Carol Bainbridge

G
    GGG Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    Update!
    We met with the superintendent and principal. It was a predictable meeting (heard the same ol' routine about how early is damaging).

However, they agreed to consider an early Kindergarten scenario, which would be either transitional kindergarten in the fall or traditional kindergarten in the spring once he turns 5. Transitional K gives some flexibility in on the legal end because he is two months after the cutoff and they felt the board might see that as a possibly solution because four year olds do attend TK. Then, after winter break, traditional K would be considered, moving him into 1st at age 5.5. Which of course, will not be his academic level but the best compromise available. He will be at a 2nd and 3rd grade level at age 5.5.

They are asking for letters of recommendation from our child psychologist and anyone who feels he would be best served by entering Kindergarten early, a copy of his full psych report which was done by the school district and a letter from us with our request.

They said they will read the documents and decide if they would like to present it to the school board for a final decision.
    There are only two more board meetings before school begins.

I'm relieved we got this far. Not sure if they are taking us seriously or placating us with more paperwork to come up with in a very short amount of time.

My husband feels strongly that if they say no, they should have a plan of what would they do to accomodate him. They literally have no alternative at this time and freely admit that they have no options for him.

They did say an academic assessment would be involved. I can't help but hope it's a district academic achievement assessment that could qualify him for DYS.

I'm sick to my stomach thinking about-what if he can't go to K early, what are we going to do? We feel that entering at 5.5 is absolutely not an option. So now we are outlining other options and trying to expand our mind about things like skipping K altogether.

I
    I
    A few thoughts:

1) Seeking a process -
    a process for determining if early entry to Kindergarten would be appropriate... there is no such process at our local school
    You may have read this elsewhere on the forums, The Iowa Acceleration Scale ( IAS ) is a tool which outlines a process for evaluating the appropriateness of a full grade acceleration. If your district is unfamiliar with the IAS, you may wish to mention it to them. The Acceleration Institute offers Policy Guidelines to facilitate the establishment of acceleration policies within school districts.

2) It is not wholly true that your state does not permit early entrance to kindergarten. Although mentioned in a recent post: "we are in California... children under 5 are not permitted to attend K", according to this State Policy summary, for CA as presented by Acceleration Institute:
    Originally Posted by State Policy summary, for CA as presented by Acceleration Institute
    "The governing board of a school district maintaining one or more kindergartens may, on a case-by-case basis, admit to a kindergarten a child having attained the age of five years at any time during the school year with the approval of the parent or guardian, subject to the following conditions: (1) The governing board determines that the admittance is in the best interests of the child. (2) The parent or guardian is given information regarding the advantages and disadvantages and any other explanatory information about the effect of this early admittance."
    If your child misses the cutoff by only two months, it appears that starting kindergarten after those 2 months have elapsed may be an option, and your child may not need to wait for the next school year. It appears that at age 5, a child may also be admitted to the first grade.

When advocating, it is very important to be familiar with your current State laws and district policies. Because these can change over time, you may wish to print them and keep them in a file, ring binder, etc, arranged by year.

3) Other options available
    My husband feels strongly that if they say no, they should have a plan of what would they do to accomodate him. They literally have no alternative at this time and freely admit that they have no options for him
    A person "feeling" something is not compelling, nor does it obligate the other party to take actions you may wish to see them take. You may wish to do some research on acceleration. Review your State law. The Acceleration Institute has gathered many resources together in one place to make this much easier for today's parents, than it was a decade ago.

One resource offered by the Acceleration Institute, the Iowa Acceleration Scale, is subtitled: "A Guide for Whole-Grade Acceleration K-8"... and single-subject acceleration is mentioned briefly in the Manual on page 104, and Planning Record page 3. Some schools may use the IAS to prepare a complete record of a student's scores and "thoroughly discuss the case and to consider other curricular options and recommendations for the student." (Manual page 34)

4) Next steps
    if he can't go to K early, what are we going to do?
    You've received valuable information from several posters upthread about possible future acceleration strategies.

5) Have you thought ahead... are you well aware of tradeoffs (possible downside) to early entrance? There are several threads on this, including Grade skipping tradeoffs. Here is also another thread on what to ask about early K. I am a strong proponent of acceleration, and believe its success is enhanced when parents are well-informed, anticipate and are prepared for trade-offs, and have realistic expectations.

6) Linking to your related thread, Help me write compelling points in letter... as this may be helpful to future readers.

C
    C
    Did they show you any evidence to support their belief that early admittance is damaging for children like your son? I'm guessing no.

My guess is they realize, even if they aren't willing yet to say it out loud, that your child is indeed ready for K. So that's a good thing.

G
    GGG Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    Well, he was enrolled in K before turning five a few weeks ago.
    He's thriving. I've never seen him happier.
    This was a long, emotionally exhausting process, but worth all the tears and sleepless nights.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM