Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 208 guests, and 7 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    V
    VR00 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    V
    I was looking at the CTY Science courses for my DS and was surprised how expensive they are. $770 for a self-paced course (Which I assume means just a computer program) seems excessive.

Is this worth it? Or are they other better alternatives.

I am also looking at 7th/8th grade CTY science courses for DSs and would be interested in hearing others experience with the classes.

G
    G
    We used several CTY courses. The pre-packaged ones had very little value added, but we love the writing classes and cryptography. I will say that we homeschooled and have just gone through private high school admissions. The official transcript from CTY (they are an accredited middle school) and the extensive written comments by teachers were, I think, really helpful for this process. Many schools that accepted her referenced these materials and they were the only "real" grades she had.

V
    VR00 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    V
    Spagetti,

Do you know what does the assigned teacher does on the self-paced courses? Do they grade or provide other guidance etc?

Thanks.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by VR00
    Spagetti,

Do you know what does the assigned teacher does on the self-paced courses? Do they grade or provide other guidance etc?

Thanks.

VR000, it's been quite awhile since our DS took an online CTY course, but fwiw, his teacher was wonderful. She provided quite a bit of supplementary material online, sent the students an extra discussion question (outside of the class topics but related to the general subject), answered all of ds' questions very promptly, and just generally overall wonderfully nice. DS had a question related to some work he'd done in the course over a full year after he'd completed the course (he was working on a project for his b&m school)... so he sent an email to his former CTY teacher asking for advice and she really went above and beyond in replying and following up with ds.

I can't say the course is worth spending all the $ that it cost.. but as others have mentioned, it is accredited coursework, and our school district will give credit for CTY courses. I've also received good feedback for me as a parent on report cards and in email conversations with the teachers.

Best wishes,

polarbear

V
    VR00 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    V
    Polar bear,

Thanks for the feedback. But from your description of a class/discussion I think you might be referring to session based courses where there is an actual class. I was looking at the individually-paced courses. See below for example:

http://cty.jhu.edu/ctyonline/courses/science_engineering/earth_space_science.html

Did your DS take something like this as well?

Thanks.

B
    B
    My DS13 took all three CTY middle school self-paced science courses last year. He loved them. If you finish a course before the designated time is over, you can apply the left-over time to a new course. This gave my son a taste of the new class without paying to try it out. If he liked it, which he always did, we went ahead and bought the class.

My son is currently taking the Plato High School physical science course through Homeschoolbuyerscoop.

Now that we have tried two versions of Plato science (one with CTY and one by ourselves) I feel like I have some insight into the differences...

1. The CTY courses require a science fair type project to complete the course. This project is graded by the teacher. -- My son recently was accepted into a prestigious MagLab mentorship program based on these projects he had completed for CTY.

2. The CTY teachers are available for questions and you get technical Plato support through their IT group. We didn't really have any "teacher" questions, but we did use the IT help and it was wonderful to have some hand-holding in this area. -- Note: the teachers also send out a lot of supplemental links, etc., but we were too busy with other work to take full advantage of this offering.

3. The Plato we are using through the coop is not laid out as well as the CTY course. It could just be us, but it is rather cumbersome to figure out what you need to complete to progress. Since my daughter is also using this program, we've had lots of chances to explore all the hiccups in the system and I feel like we might finally understand it better (1/2 year into it).

4. Before buying the coop version, I called Plato to try and find out the differences between the two: CTY vs. Coop. It took me two days to finally reach someone that felt like they could answer me. Their answer was that they really didn't know and they didn't think they could find someone that would be able to tell me. I figured the coop version was worth a try at the price.

Going forward, if I can afford it, I would choose CTY. I feel like it is laid out more methodically, I like the project component, I appreciate the IT help, and I like having a formal grade from CTY to add to our portfolio for future opportunities where we have to prove our son's scientific aptitude, such as the MagLab program in our home town.

If we cannot afford CTY, I won't lose any sleep over having to go directly to Plato/homeschoolbuyerscoop. It is a good program and if learning is your main objective, it certainly should help your student accomplish that goal.

V
    VR00 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    V
    Blessed,

Thank you for the detailed feedback. It provides the contrast I was looking for.

Regards,

VR00

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent