Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 372 guests, and 24 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Curiouser #227184 01/28/16 09:07 AM
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    Thanks guys, this was really helpful. I'm actually starting to believe that maybe this isn't the end of the world. That is a big step. And for now, it's enough. We will see where the wind takes us and we will be proactive and it will be ok. Because we will make SURE it is ok. For all of us. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Your experiences and insight give me hope.

puffin #227185 01/28/16 09:16 AM
    T
    T
    Originally Posted by puffin
    I don't think JonLaw expects you to agree with all his statements. I am never quite sure whether he agrees with them either.

Ha. Perhaps the "Law" in his name is an indication that he enjoys debate?

Curiouser #227197 01/28/16 11:57 AM
    C
    C
    I looked at it as a technique of taking the particular worry all the way to the absurdly worst possible scenario as an illustration of the worst outcome. Realize that isn't what has to happen and figure out what is a more likely outcome and the possible ways of making sure the worst doesn't happen.

I think it is called worst, best, most likely.

trio #227202 01/28/16 01:08 PM
    Originally Posted by trio
    Originally Posted by puffin
    I don't think JonLaw expects you to agree with all his statements. I am never quite sure whether he agrees with them either.

Ha. Perhaps the "Law" in his name is an indication that he enjoys debate?

I enjoy commenting. It's fun!

And if you want to comment, you need to use words. So, I comment using carefully crafted word combinations that evoke glorious ideas and profound truth thingies.

It's not clear to me that all of my statements are internally consistent enough to permit anyone to agree with all of them. I think there's probably some law of logic that prohibits this.

Kind of like dividing by zero.

But I don't let that stop me! I know that if I just keep on picking myself off of the ground by my bootstraps and dusting them off, I will eventually get to the top of the mountain. And on top of that mountain, I will find a table full of well cooked steak and wonderful chocolate desserts.

Hope this helps.

JonLaw #227204 01/28/16 01:30 PM
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    But I don't let that stop me! I know that if I just keep on picking myself off of the ground by my bootstraps and dusting them off, I will eventually get to the top of the mountain. And on top of that mountain, I will find a table full of well cooked steak and wonderful chocolate desserts.

is THAT what's on the top of that big ol' mountain? If I knew that, I would have climbed it years ago wink

there's nothing like good food to get someone motivated...

Curiouser #227206 01/28/16 01:42 PM
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by Marnie
    Originally Posted by JonLaw

is THAT what's on the top of that big ol' mountain? If I knew that, I would have climbed it years ago wink

there's nothing like good food to get someone motivated...
    I assume by well-cooked steak, Jon means medium-rare, a little on the rare side. Because if it isn't, I question the value of climbing the mountain... grin

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Curiouser #227207 01/28/16 01:46 PM
    B
    B
    Back to the topic at hand.

I live in an academic community and I know how unlikely it is for his new job to be in the same area. Your situation sounds frustrating but I think you are just going to have to see where your husband gets offers before you worry about it too much.

I know how much you want to keep your son in a place where he has a BF & peers. But IMO friendships change and evolves and this wonderful school while it's great now might not stay the perfect fit. How will you all feel if you stay because your son has a BF & that kid changes schools, moves or simply finds other friends.

My son had a BF in 3rd grade. I was very happy because he is an introvert and doesn't make friends easily. I considered not moving DS to the honor's program the in 4th grade because of this friendship. But I knew that this other kids father was about to get a PhD and likely move after another year. (Which did happen.) So I rationally chose not to base what my son needed academically and socially on one friendship DS did have a very rough time socially in 6th-8th grade and I'll never know but have wondered if keeping him in the original school would it have been different.

But what I've found out from having kids is you can never trust that things will stay the same. Make decisions based on what's best for YOUR family, and your husbands career is an important part of that.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM