Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 423 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    B
    BeeBear Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    I'm new here and came across this forum in search of answers for some behaviors of DS3.5. His pediatrician suggested reaching out to a psychologist regarding the main issue we are currently dealing with - major social anxiety around kids age 2-7. He's great with older kids and adults, conversing easily and initiating conversation. The psychologists suggested broad evaluation in multiple areas, including giftedness. However, a few of the schools we may consider for Kindergarten next year require some test scores (WISC or WPPSI I believe) and mentioned you cannot take the test again before a year has passed. So I am thinking that I would rather him take the WPPSI in a year closer to Kindergarten admission deadlines, and he is still so young.

Is this true about the WPPSI/WISC timing (can only take once/year)? Can psychologists perform other evaluations and skip the giftedness testing until later?

We're not sure of his giftedness, but he has done things that indicate possible testing at some point (he reads and learned on his own somewhere around 3rd bday, exceptional memory, extremely curious, logical, etc.).

In addition to the social anxiety, he has other quirks that we thought maybe warranted some psychological evaluation, even if no gifted testing now:
    *Strange obsessive interests over time: tubes, lights, trash cans, bottles, logos, rules, and the latest is signs/symbols (especially "no" symbols and warning/caution signs)
    *Possible issues with fine motor skills (difficulty writing/holding pens/pencils especially)
    *Lining things up: lines up everything, but isn't rigid or exclusive in this type of play - seems to be related to categories or an order/neatness thing?
    *Overly sensitive: Really hard on himself for a 3 year old and gets very mad when he doesn't do things perfectly (doesn't even want us to know when he is hurt). Gets really sad about characters in books that are sad/hurt, but then gets very mad at me when I notice it upsets him.
    *Sensory: asks why kids shout/yell, doesn't like being surrounded closely by people

Thanks for your help!

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Yes, it is true that cognitive instruments can only be administered once every TWO years. There are other instruments that could be used for the cognitive portion of a comprehensive assessment, in a child of this age, such as the DAS-II and SBV. If it seems that a comprehensive assessment is indicated immediately, and you also want to reserve the WPPSI-IV for kindergarten entry testing, you could mention this concern to the evaluator, and request that they use a different cognitive instrument.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by spaghetti - 05/14/24 08:14 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years