Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 133 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #226911 01/21/16 10:06 AM
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    My DD11 took the SCAT test last week and the scores just showed up today. Her Math score meets the Grand Ceremony criteria for 7th and 8th grade, but there is no qualifying criteria for 6th graders. Anyone know if she will be invited, will the score carry to next year, or will she need to test and qualify again in the proper time-frame as a 7th grader?

Regarding the Davidson program - any suggestion on which of the qualifying tests would be "better" for someone strong on the math side (and about 75th %ile on the CTY/SCAT Verbal)?

Did Davidson change their criteria? She had qualifying Explore scores a couple of years ago, but didn't they used to require 2 of 3 items - Explore, plus either IQ test or submitted/written samples of achievement? She took the SB5 back in kindergarten, but didn't meet their criteria at the time.

L
    L
    DYS used to require scores from both/each of what is now option one or two. Now it's just one option, with different amounts of scores needed for different tests (one of this, two or three of that -- those values changed). If the qualifying EXPLORE results are within two years of the application, she could still use them. Or sign up to take it in Feb, last chance. :-)

E
    E
    What are the Grand Ceremony criteria? For that matter, what is the Grand Ceremony? DD11 also just took the SCAT as a 6th grader. She is a DYS, and she got some good-looking scores to my ignorant eye, but I don't know a lot about CTY nowadays. (I was a student/TA at PSAP at ASU before it was absorbed by CTY, and I TA'd and taught math for them for two years in Lancaster, PA, but I've lost touch with the organization.)

Last edited by ElizabethN; 01/22/16 03:58 PM. Reason: scores redacted
    P
    P
    I think Grand Ceremony is for 7th and 8th graders only for both JHU-CTY and Duke TIP. My DD got 3 perfect scores on EXPLORE but no Grand Ceremony invite for Duke TIP.

C
    OP Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by ElizabethN
    What are the Grand Ceremony criteria?

Listed at http://cty.jhu.edu/talent/testing/after.html#Grand

For 7th/8th grade it's SAT Math 700/750 or SCAT 508/511. For 7th/8th that about 98-99th %-ile among the already gifted group that takes the SCAT through CTY.

I think the 2 year date on her EXPLORE may have just lapsed, but I'll check.

I think that the 'scaled' scores factor in the grade so a 499 as a sixth grader is not the same as a 499 as a seventh grader. Could be wrong there. My DD11 took it as a fifth grader last year and got a 477v/499q which I think only qualifies her for the vanilla awards ceremony this Spring.

Become what you are
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    Scores differ between the tests (Elementary, Intermediate, Advanced), but 6th/7th/8th all take the same Advanced test, so scoring scales are the same. It's similar to 10th graders taking the PSAT and 11th graders taking the SAT not having directly comparable scores, but 11th graders and 12th graders (and 7th graders) taking the SAT all being on the same scoring.

Reported ercentiles will differ, as they are compared to different above-grade cohorts, but the raw/scaled scores are the same.

Since 5th and 6th graders take different tests, those scores aren't directly comparable. So 499 in 5th and 499 in 6th aren't the same, but 499 in 6th, 7th, 8th are the same (assuming the test version was per JH recommendations)

explained here: http://cty.jhu.edu/talent/testing/about/scat.html - Scoring and Timing

I've emailed JH to get an answer to my original question.

Last edited by Cranberry; 01/21/16 09:17 PM.
    What percentile are the award recipients? Any estimates compared to the average population and gifted kids?

Q
    Q
    Unless they change their criteria this year your DD will not be invited to the Grand Ceremony and scores do not carry to subsequent year for award purposes.

The Grand Ceremony is only for 7th and 8th graders who score at or above the requisite levels on SAT, ACT, SCAT or STB. The only exception is for younger participants who score high enough for SET (Study of Exceptional Talent) by scoring at least 700 on SAT Math or SAT CR.

DYS changed their criteria last summer. On the one hand it is easier because you only need one set of scores, either IQ or ability/achievement. On the other hand, it is harder to qualify through Explore and SAT now because they raised the minimum scores on the Explore and you need the composite plus either Math or CR on the SAT.

Last edited by Quantum2003; 01/21/16 11:49 PM.
    Thanks - I stand corrected.

Become what you are
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM