Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 121 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    A
    AGift Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Hello,
    I am new to these forums and the subject of gifted. My Wife and I could use some advise and help. Please excuse any fumbling, it will be due to lack of experience with the subject.

We have several children but right now we need assistance with our DS8 2nd grader. A brief history, he has always shown signs of being gifted and we have been approached by several people asking if he has been tested for AdHD. We researched the option and spoke with our family doctor. We chose not to test him as most of the signs leaned toward excitement and distraction if not stimulated. So we have focused on keeping him stimulated.

Unlike many stories I have read here we are very lucky with the public school our DS8 goes to. With minor hiccups they have done very well working with him and us to keep him on track. Fast forward to end of first grade our DS8 took the district evaluation called Terra Nova Assessment. Students getting 95% or higher in 3 or more content areas qualify for further testing. His test scores PreK, end of K, and end of 1st were 98 or 99% each time.
    At the end of 1st semester this year in 2nd grade he goes to a 4th grade class for reading each day. He also stays in class with his teacher for 2nd recess to do advanced 4th grade level math with his 2nd grade teacher 3-4 days a week.
    Due to scheduling conflict DS8 was not able to take the the further testing until right before winter break. The minimum score for acceptance into the gifted program is a 128 on FSIQ or GAI. We received the Full Scale score last Friday. He was given the WISC-V and scored a FSIQ of 145. The bridges program for 2nd graders consists of all Bridges kids (2nd graders) in the district travel by bus to one school each Monday. This year there are 11 DS and DD's in the program.
    Today I reached out to the Director of Elementary Education for our district, she again showed that the district supports students to there best ability, Not only did she remember our DS8 but knew his FSIQ score off the top of her head. Within 30 minutes I received an email with his full test results.

The test scores are fairly confusing. He has several that are fairly low. Any help interpreting the scores and advise on programs that will help him continue to enjoy and excel at learning. His biggest hurdle is social skills. His sensitivity and knowing his is the smartest person in the room has made it difficult.

Some of the test subjects were not given to him. One of the programs I would like to let him experience is the Davidson Young Scholars. I do not know if the parts they did not test him on will disqualify him from joining.

WISC-V
    Test date 12/18/2015
    Male, 8years 2 months
    FSIQ 145
    GAI 154

Primary Summary
    Verbal Comprehension
    SI Raw-35, Scaled-19, Age >16:10, SEM 1.16
    VC RAW-32, Scaled-17, Age 13:2, SEM 1.24
    IN (no data)
    CO (no data)
    Visual Spatial
    BD RAW-47, Scaled-19, Age >16:10, SEM 1.04
    VP (no Data)
    Fluid Reasoning
    MR RAW-24, Scaled-17, Age, >16:10 SEM 0.99
    FW RAW-31, Scaled-19, Age, >16:10 SEM 0.73
    PC (no Data)
    AR (no Data)
    Working Memory
    DS RAW-26, Scaled-13, Age 11:6 SEM 0.95
    PS (no Data)
    LN (no Data)
    Processing Speed
    CD RAW-31, Scaled-11, Age 8:6 SEM 1.37
    SS (no Data)
    CA (no Data)

Composite
    VCI Sum-36, Composite-146, SEM 4.74
    VSI (no Data)
    FRI Sum-36, Composite-147, SEM 3.67
    WMI (no Data)
    PSI (no Data)
    FSIQ Sum-115, Composite-145, SEM 3.00

Primary Analysis
    Index Level Strengths and Weaknesses
    VCI Score-146, Comparison-145, Diff-1, Critical-9.84
    VSI (no Data)
    FRI Score-147, Comparison-145, Diff-2, Critical-9.28
    WMI (no Data)
    PSI (no Data)

Index Level Pairwise Difference Comparisons
    Index Comparison
    VCI-FRI Score 1-146, Score 2-147, Critical-11.75
    All others (no Data)

Sub-test Level Strengths and Weaknesses
    SI Score-19, Comparison-16.4, Diff-2.6, Critical-2.98
    VC Score-17, Comparison-16.4, Diff-0.6, Critical-3.15
    BD Score-19, Comparison-16.4, Diff-2.6, Critical-2.72
    VP (no Data)
    MR Score-17, Comparison-16.4, Diff-0.6, Critical-2.61
    FW Score-19, Comparison-16.4, Diff-2.6, Critical-2.07
    DS Score-13, Comparison-16.4, Diff- -3.4 Critical-2.52
    PS (no Data)
    CD Score-11, Comparison-16.4,Diff- -5.4, Critical-3.44
    SS (no Data)

Sub-test Level Pairwise Difference Comparisons
    SI-VC Score 1-19, Score 2-17, Diff-2, Critical-3.02
    MR-FW Score 1-17, Score 2-19, Diff- -2, Critical-2.60
    All others (no Data)

Ancillary & Complementary Summary
    GAI Sum of Scaled-91, Index-154, SEM 3.00
    All others (no Data)

A lot of plank data.

Total RAW Score to Scaled Score Conversion
    BDn (no Data)
    BDp (no Data)
    DSf RAW-8, Scaled-10
    DSb RAW-10, Scaled-14
    DSs RAW-8, Scaled-12
    All others (no Data)

Process Level Pairwise Difference Comparisons (scaled Scores)
    DSf-DSb Score 1-10, Score 2-14, Diff- -4, Critical-3.69
    DSf-DSs Score 1-10, Score 2-12, Diff- -2, Critical-3.63
    DSb-DSs Score 1-14, Score 2-12, Diff-2, Critical-3.66
    All Others (no Data

Total Raw Score to Base Rate Conversion
    LDSf Raw-5
    LDSb RAW-4
    LDSs RAW-5
    All Others (no Data)

I tried to include as much data as I could, if there is anything else needed please let me know.

Our DS8 has a younger brother DS7 (in 3 weeks)1st grader who shows some of the same sensitivity and is very good in many area's. He does not show the same indicators that DS8 shows and does not enjoy most subject except math like his older brother. I have been researching 2nd child habits to see if this has effected his learning. I am hoping we can use the experiences with DS8 to better help DS7.

Any advise or thoughts you would like to share would be greatly appreciated.

AGift (John)

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Welcome!

Your DS has excellent scores in almost every area. In response to some of your key questions:

1. DYS--he has eligible scores in the required areas: FSIQ 145+, GAI 145+, VCI and FRI both 145+. Your school administered only enough subtests to obtain the GAI and FSIQ, which was a reasonable decision, based on the recommendations for gifted screening (though I would have preferred to have the three additional subtests needed to generate the complete set of five primary index scores). The index scores that are missing are the ones with weaker sensitivity in distinguishing GT from non-GT children.

2. Low scores--he actually does not have several scores that are low. He has a handful of scores that are in the average range, only one of which is actually a full subtest score (this would be Coding, which is a fine-motor speed task). They appear low only in contrast to his exceptionally strong scores in every other area. Given his young age, in the absence of other information suggesting that he has challenges with speed, fine-motor coordination, or other skills, I would not be too concerned about the Coding (Cd) score. Of course, if you do have concerns IRL, that would be another story.

The other subtest that is relatively low is Digit Span (DS), which is in the high average range. In looking at the process scores (components), I notice that he did better on DSB and DSS than on DSF. This is not an unusual profile in children who have had ADHD questioned, as the difference is that DSF (repeating digits verbatim) is a rote memory task, which tends to be less engaging, and thus more vulnerable to inconsistent attention. DSB (repeating a series of digits in reverse order) and DSS (repeating the digits in increasing order), in contrast, are both more interesting and more amenable to cognitive strategies. In my experience, I find that both children who have attentional weaknesses and children with high cognition may perform better on the reverse and sequencing conditions than on the forward condition. In your DS's case, it could easily be one, the other, or both.

3. Score interpretation--otherwise, his scaled scores are uniformly high, and fairly close to each other. He received one max scaled score in each of the three GAI-related clusters (VC, VS, FR), for at least two of which he appears to have been administered every item available (meaning they may be low estimates of his ability; extended norms are anticipated to come out later this year, at which point it might be worthwhile for you to have his raw scores re-interpreted on the extended norms).

4. ADHD--the data in this set of test scores neither confirm nor rule-out ADHD, on their own. Persons with ADHD often have high stimulus needs; GT individuals also have high intellectual or creative stimulus needs. Children with ADHD have difficulty sustaining attention for low-interest tasks; many ordinary academic activities are so far below the ability of GT children that they may have difficulty sustaining attention for them. Then again, it is quite possible to be dually-exceptional (2e), and be GT/ADHD. I would start from impact on essential life functions. If he is happy, productive, and engaged in healthy relationships, my preference would be merely to keep an eye on attention/impulsivity.

5. Social skills--both GT and ADHD can affect social interactions, often for very different reasons. For GT, a better-matched peer group may make a big difference. You may see this area develop in a more satisfactory way in the GT program. This is a big topic, though, with a lot of facets.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    A
    AGift Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A

First I would like to say thank you so much for working though my post and giving your thoughts.
    If possible I would like to answer and expand on some points. If you and/or anyone else could weigh in it would be very helpful.

Originally Posted by aeh
    Welcome!

Your DS has excellent scores in almost every area. In response to some of your key questions:

1. DYS--he has eligible scores in the required areas: FSIQ 145+, GAI 145+, VCI and FRI both 145+. Your school administered only enough subtests to obtain the GAI and FSIQ, which was a reasonable decision, based on the recommendations for gifted screening (though I would have preferred to have the three additional subtests needed to generate the complete set of five primary index scores). The index scores that are missing are the ones with weaker sensitivity in distinguishing GT from non-GT children.

1)Thank you for explaining that my DS8 is not missing any test needed to apply for the DYS. If you could explain what the weaker Sensitivity's are I should be able to have an idea were he fits.

2. Low scores--he actually does not have several scores that are low. He has a handful of scores that are in the average range, only one of which is actually a full subtest score (this would be Coding, which is a fine-motor speed task). They appear low only in contrast to his exceptionally strong scores in every other area. Given his young age, in the absence of other information suggesting that he has challenges with speed, fine-motor coordination, or other skills, I would not be too concerned about the Coding (Cd) score. Of course, if you do have concerns IRL, that would be another story.

2) Given how complex our DS8 is it I am not sure how to know if he has challenges with speed, fine-motor coordination, or other skills. If I had some examples of what are used to gauge these things I can answer that question. The things he does/likes that could fall within this are, he excels at soccer and enjoys making origami. His ability to do math in his head to me is uncanny, I can give him multiplication problems verbally 1X4 or 2X2 and he has the answer as fast or faster than me with a calculator. Again not sure if these things apply to the question.

The other subtest that is relatively low is Digit Span (DS), which is in the high average range. In looking at the process scores (components), I notice that he did better on DSB and DSS than on DSF. This is not an unusual profile in children who have had ADHD questioned, as the difference is that DSF (repeating digits verbatim) is a rote memory task, which tends to be less engaging, and thus more vulnerable to inconsistent attention. DSB (repeating a series of digits in reverse order) and DSS (repeating the digits in increasing order), in contrast, are both more interesting and more amenable to cognitive strategies. In my experience, I find that both children who have attentional weaknesses and children with high cognition may perform better on the reverse and sequencing conditions than on the forward condition. In your DS's case, it could easily be one, the other, or both.

This section is a great explanation of the test portions, makes it much clearer for us. My comment in the original post about AdHD being a possibility was to help explain some of his habits. Over the last 3-4 years it has been clear to us that he does not have AdHD. As we understand AdHD (please explain if you disagree) our DS8 is able to overcome his natural tendency to be over excited or hyper by focusing on the end goal of a situation or understanding he will not complete the task or game/activity if he allows himself to wander.

3. Score interpretation--otherwise, his scaled scores are uniformly high, and fairly close to each other. He received one max scaled score in each of the three GAI-related clusters (VC, VS, FR), for at least two of which he appears to have been administered every item available (meaning they may be low estimates of his ability; extended norms are anticipated to come out later this year, at which point it might be worthwhile for you to have his raw scores re-interpreted on the extended norms).

3) I am glad you said this about his scores. It has been my work experience that #'s at ether extreme tend to be less accurate. I am so far unable to get anything official about V beyond saying 130+. I have read in many places that IV scores tend to be higher than V. my research indicates anywhere from 1% to about 3% on the sub-test that can be compared. I was also able to find a list for IV that shows population % of scores beyond 130. If I take his GIA of 154 and multiply it by 102% this would give him an approximate IV score of 157. Per the spreadsheet this puts him at the 99.98%. Am I way off base here? Is there any idea when they will be able to give the same breakdown for V? The only reason we care about this is our hope it can help us tailor his education and give a better understanding of how to help him with his social challenges.

4. ADHD--the data in this set of test scores neither confirm nor rule-out ADHD, on their own. Persons with ADHD often have high stimulus needs; GT individuals also have high intellectual or creative stimulus needs. Children with ADHD have difficulty sustaining attention for low-interest tasks; many ordinary academic activities are so far below the ability of GT children that they may have difficulty sustaining attention for them. Then again, it is quite possible to be dually-exceptional (2e), and be GT/ADHD. I would start from impact on essential life functions. If he is happy, productive, and engaged in healthy relationships, my preference would be merely to keep an eye on attention/impulsivity.

4) This section helps with explaining why we do not feel he has AdHD. Our DS8's stimulant needs tend to lean in the direction of intellectual and creative stimulus. His major hurdle around low-interest tasks such as any grade 2 work is not having a challenging task to tackle once his grade 2 work is done. He understands he needs to turn in the grade 2 work in order to move forward with school. If he does not have something significantly more challenging to do once he completes the 2nd grade work he exhibits disruptive or negative emotional behavior. He also responds better if he has input or a say in the tasks he works on while the rest of the class finishes there 2nd grade work. DS8 can stay focused on tasks he does not enjoy for long periods of time as long as he see's a light at the end of the tunnel, IE: more advanced project or fun activities. I am not sure what "impact on essential life functions" is? Could you explain / give examples? His emotional state goes to extremes very easily. If he is expecting something to happen and is not walked though why it is not (at the time he finds out) he can meltdown in a matter of seconds. He has major issues relating to others anywhere near his age. We thought he would relate better to older kids but they see him as odd due to his small size (bottom 10% size and weight for age) and tendency to talk about things over there heads. Last year he had 2 others in his class that could relate to him and his teacher encouraged them as a group on most projects. This year he is more isolated in his class so he tends to over compensate at recess, this will cause his meltdowns to happen on the playground more than his class.

5. Social skills--both GT and ADHD can affect social interactions, often for very different reasons. For GT, a better-matched peer group may make a big difference. You may see this area develop in a more satisfactory way in the GT program. This is a big topic, though, with a lot of facets.

5) Social skills is our biggest concern right now. It is easier to give more advanced learning material thank help him with his social challenges. We have been spoken to about him skipping one or more grades but due to his social skills we have held back. I am in my 40's and build long-term close relationships very rarely. I have a very aggressive opinionated personality and as such I know I am not the best role model for relationships. We have always tried to find other kids he can relate to but it has been hard. I am hoping that having his test scores it will help us find more compatible social circles. We live in the Midwest and are willing to go to fairly extensive lengths to give him the development he needs. Any advise or direction would be profoundly appreciated.
    [color:#3333FF][/color]

L
    L
    It sounds like you have found the right place. Welcome! smile

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    You are very welcome.
    Originally Posted by AGift
    1)If you could explain what the weaker Sensitivity's are I should be able to have an idea were he fits.
    Sorry, I was unclear. I meant that the test has lower sensitivity for distinguishing GT from NT children, not that he had weaker sensitivity. IOW, the difference in performance between GT and non-GT children is smaller on WM and PS than it is on the other index scores.
    2) Given how complex our DS8 is it I am not sure how to know if he has challenges with speed, fine-motor coordination, or other skills. If I had some examples of what are used to gauge these things I can answer that question. The things he does/likes that could fall within this are, he excels at soccer and enjoys making origami. His ability to do math in his head to me is uncanny, I can give him multiplication problems verbally 1X4 or 2X2 and he has the answer as fast or faster than me with a calculator. Again not sure if these things apply to the question.
    Your anecdotes suggest that his actual mental processing speed is fast, his fine motor skills (at least for creative, non-rote, non-pencil tasks) are good, and his automaticity (at least for math facts) is excellent. By elimination, that suggests that his lower Coding score arises from other factors. For some children, it is a reflective or perfectionistic working style. I take it you do not observe struggles or avoidance behaviors for pencil tasks or writing?
    As we understand AdHD (please explain if you disagree) our DS8 is able to overcome his natural tendency to be over excited or hyper by focusing on the end goal of a situation or understanding he will not complete the task or game/activity if he allows himself to wander.
    Yes. That sounds like he is able to inhibit impulses without too much difficulty.
    3) I am glad you said this about his scores. It has been my work experience that #'s at ether extreme tend to be less accurate. I am so far unable to get anything official about V beyond saying 130+. I have read in many places that IV scores tend to be higher than V. my research indicates anywhere from 1% to about 3% on the sub-test that can be compared. I was also able to find a list for IV that shows population % of scores beyond 130. If I take his GIA of 154 and multiply it by 102% this would give him an approximate IV score of 157. Per the spreadsheet this puts him at the 99.98%. Am I way off base here? Is there any idea when they will be able to give the same breakdown for V? The only reason we care about this is our hope it can help us tailor his education and give a better understanding of how to help him with his social challenges.
    You are, of course, correct, that scores near the tail of the distribution tend to have greater variability. (Consider that roughly 2000 individuals were in the norm group, divided into 3 age brackets per year from 6-0 to 16-11. Thus, a fractional person in the standardization sample represented all of the performers above the 99th %ile at each age level.) I should note, though, that your comments about obtaining WISC-IV equivalent scores are premised on some incomplete information. When it is stated that WISC-V scores are lower than WISC-IV scores, it is actually the reverse; it would be more accurate to state that WISC-IV scores obtained at the same time as WISC-V scores are inflated, due to a phenomenon called the Flynn effect (or, more properly, norm obsolescence). There is no reason to believe that WISC-IV scores obtained at the same norm age (which would be about a decade ago) would be any higher than WISC-V scores. Using the adjustments incorporated into the extended norms has more value, as they are based on a small norm population of very high IQ children (i.e., more than a fraction of a child per age bracket). If no one else mentions it before me (and I would think the Davidson Institute would have an interest in announcing it as early as possible), I will certainly post to this group when I become aware of their release.
    4) If he does not have something significantly more challenging to do once he completes the 2nd grade work he exhibits disruptive or negative emotional behavior. He also responds better if he has input or a say in the tasks he works on while the rest of the class finishes there 2nd grade work. DS8 can stay focused on tasks he does not enjoy for long periods of time as long as he see's a light at the end of the tunnel,
    Not uncommon among GT kiddos.
    I am not sure what "impact on essential life functions" is?
    I mean simply that his attention and impulse control are not impaired to a degree that they interfere with living a healthy, happy life.
    5) Social skills is our biggest concern right now. It is easier to give more advanced learning material thank help him with his social challenges. We have been spoken to about him skipping one or more grades but due to his social skills we have held back. I am in my 40's and build long-term close relationships very rarely. I have a very aggressive opinionated personality and as such I know I am not the best role model for relationships. We have always tried to find other kids he can relate to but it has been hard. I am hoping that having his test scores it will help us find more compatible social circles. We live in the Midwest and are willing to go to fairly extensive lengths to give him the development he needs. Any advise or direction would be profoundly appreciated.
    You are definitely not alone in this. There are many discussions on the forum regarding the tension between advancing based on academics and based on social skills. A discussion point that arises frequently is the question of whether the net effect is more positive if he is matched on academic level, but not on developmental level, or mismatched on both. (I betray my bias here!) Being with age peers does not automatically mean that he is in a social/developmental peer group. If he is equally a fish out of water with age peers and with older children, then it may be that the social cost of moving up is relatively little, but at least some of the academic/cognitive needs can be addressed more effectively. I say this as someone who was (cumulatively) radically accelerated, beginning with early entry to kindergarten, and who has also never broken the 10th %ile line in stature.

Others on this forum will, I am sure chime in with some specific activities that have been helpful for their children, such as state or national GT organization get-togethers, or clubs that tend to draw GT children.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    A
    A
    About social skills - my DS7 had trouble relating to kids his own age every since he was very little. When we had get togethers with other families who have similar age kids, he may be playing with them for very short period of time and then he would go do his own thing or go talk to the adults.

He was basically shut off when he returned to kindergarten after the winter break. The school social worker got involved. She asked my DS to pick someone from his class that he would like to play with and pulled both them out of the class for a period of time during the day to play with each other. I think that helped him finding same interests with the other kid. Came to first grade, I warned the teacher but so far he has made more friends and had no big issues interacting with the kids in his class.

I think he's finding more things in common with the other kids as he grows older. Also signing him up with team sports may have helped too. He is in basketball so not only he's learning basketball skills, he's also learning how to play and work with his teammates.

We are currently trying to work with his school for accelerated academic plans but specifics said that we don't want him to skip grades. He's finally able to related to kids his own age and also we don't think he's mature enough to move up grades yet. For us, accelerated curriculum in the current grade works better.

A
    AGift Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by Loy58
    It sounds like you have found the right place. Welcome! smile

Thank you Loy58, you are most correct. Over the last 2 weeks I have explored many sites and this one has the most welcoming and insightful people I have seen.

A
    AGift Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Portia,

Thank you for your input. DS8 has been in soccer the last 2 years through the YMCA and loves it. We have them in as many after school programs we can. He and his brother are both in the City wide chess club and we take them to as many matches as we can. Both of my DS's have problems relating to other there age in one way or another. One suggestion was Cub Scouts. I am looking into this now, both boys seem somewhat interested. We are hoping the kids in his Bridges class will connect and we can set up some play dates. Thank you for the additional ideas about weekend clubs.
    The Epsilon camp looks great, It is only 4 hours away. We are looking to see if we can shift some other obligations to free up the window.

Originally Posted by Portia
    You have found the right place. Many of the struggles you mention are familiar. Finding one's tribe is very difficult. We have had most success in following interests. It also involves a lot of parental support creating opportunities for socialization. You had mentioned that last year he was with a group that seemed to work well on projects. Have you considered inviting them over for a playdate or creating some sort of afterschool project they could work on together?

Another way to meet others through following interests is to find clubs like history, math, Lego, etc that meet on the weekends. We also find luck with camps such as soccer, Lego, math, engineering, theater, etc.

ETA: You mentioned that your son is ahead in math. Have you considered Epsilon camp? Here is the link:
    http://epsiloncamp.org/

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM