Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 359 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    L
    OP Offline
    L
    Received an email from the school that my twins attended before I withdrew them to homeschool. The school psych is wanting to conduct some testing to "re-up" the IEP if appropriate. My husband and I just rolled our eyes. The reason we pulled them was because the school wasn't supporting them, nor following the IEP. The school psych says that if they go back to school in the district, they will have to start everything over if we do not renew the IEP now. We likely are not putting the girls back until high school...if then. Should we just fill in the documentation to renew the IEP or just forget about it and if in 3 years time we need it, we just have the district start from scratch?

P
    P
    I would renew it - because here, it is extremely more difficult to start over than to renew. It's possible you might never go back, but if you do, and if something changes that sends you back sooner (who knows, maybe a new opportunity will open up?)... then you're covered.

I also would look at it as a chance to look at where your girls are now, which can be really useful information in planning your homeschooling.

If they receive accommodations for testing etc, that's useful too - even if they aren't using them now. When they are older and applying for SAT etc accommodations, having the record of accommodations helps.

Best wishes,

polarbear

E
    E
    I agree with polarbear.

I would fill in the documentation. It'll be one less hoop to jump through if you ever decide to re enroll them and will help with your own planning.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Per federal special ed law, the eligibility bar is actually lower for maintaining an IEP than it is for initiating an IEP, as maintaining progress with the accommodations/interventions (adequate educational progress) on the IEP can be considered sufficient documentation for eligibility, whereas you need actual performance deficits for initiating an IEP.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    B
    B
    I also agree with polarbear as well. Far far easier to give them a review every 3 years than trying to get them a new one when they enter H.S.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Parents can choose to sign OUT of special ed at any time. The same cannot be said for signing INTO special ed.

It is true that refusing to sign an initial IEP leaves the child in general education, with no accommodations or services beyond what is available to the general population. I believe OP is in a re-evaluation situation, which is somewhat different.

If parents don't sign annual IEPs, the child remains under whatever conditions the previous (now-expired) IEP had them on, under stay-put provisions. For re-evaluations (triennials), depending on the state, failure to sign a consent to re-evaluate may exit them from special ed, especially if the child is not enrolled in the public schools at the time. If the child is enrolled in public school, parents can actually reject testing, and not have the child be exited from special ed, or the school system and the parent can mutually agree to waive testing for this triennial cycle, and write the IEP based on other existing information.

However, I actually think the most important consideration in the case of the OP is accommodations for post-secondary education and the standardized tests requested when applying to post-secondary institutions. From this distance, it's hard to predict what your children will need at that point (which is only about five or six years distant, at most, if I recall their ages correctly--maybe less if they end up further grade accelerated). Both post-secondary gate-keeping tests and post-secondary institutions want a history of accommodations that dates back more than a couple of years, and will want testing that is no more than three (sometimes two) years old at the time of application for accommodations. If you maintain continuity through IEPs or 504s from now until then, it will be an easier sell at the post-secondary entry level.

Plus, some districts will actually pay for/provide related services to homeschoolers, especially those who have previously been enrolled in the system. Again, you can always refuse services, but it may be that circumstances will arise that make accepting services beneficial to your family. And you can't accept what hasn't been offered, or be offered anything without up-to-date eligibility documentation.

Caveat: Of course, you all know that I'm a little predisposed toward testing...

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    L
    OP Offline
    L
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. It makes reasonable sense. We agree with your feedback and are going to consent to the district's testing. As usual, you have all be so wonderfully helpful!

M
    M
    One thing I'd check.....On an original IEP here, the parent can refuse to sign and the child stays in "regular ed" (for now). On an annual, the parent doesn't have to sign and the school can change whatever they want to within the special ed system. I don't know if this is a special ed IEP, but if it is and you don't know if you will want them in special ed for high school, it might be something to think about.

I am a bit curious about this. Is there a difference between graduating from special ed as compared to a general ed for high school ? Does this matter for college admissions ?

My kid currently does not have an IEP, despite his diagnosis (but I am keeping an eye out for issues/resolution to said issues etc in the far future). He still has issues with writing, which I am trying to mitigate outside of the school system. He does have a 504. Academically, he does well with STEM subjects, reading, but not writing,.

L
    OP Offline
    L
    Just got word back from the school psych (the one that readily admits she doesn't know anything about gifted kids-which I kinda appreciate) and she advised that she will be administering the WISC V and WIAT in order for my DD to maintain her IEP. DD is 5e (CAPD, vision convergence issues, r. hand syndactyly, mild adhd, sensory proc.issues, and possibly dysgraphia). On the WISC IV, it was evident that there were issues. Given these diagnoses and Flynn effect, I am assuming her results on the WISC V will be less than they were on the WISC IV. Does anyone know if the WISC V will demonstrate NVLD as well as the WISC IV seemed to? The school never believed either of my twins gifted results from outside testing(or 2e dxs). IEP for DD twin A was for physical hand malformation..nothing related to giftedness or 2e conditions. Worried that a self admitted inexperienced tester is going to make our situation even more difficult. As usual, your guidance is always appreciated.

G
    G
    Is there any way to request a different school psychologist to evaluate her? It is a concern that the psychologist admits to not understanding giftedness. It also may result in not knowing when to use or discard and prorate subtests. At the very least, if you have concerns over the results, perhaps you could consult with a psychologist outside of the school to review the results and then bring your questions back to the IEP team. Good luck

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM