Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 133 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #226538 01/10/16 08:07 AM
    D
    DeeDee Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Anyone have experience with ID Tech Camps? The noteworthy feature I see without having participated is that they cost 3x as much as any other day camp in our market.

I'd be curious to know if they're worthwhile, and/or worth what they're charging.

DeeDee #226548 01/10/16 12:33 PM
    B
    B
    Both my kids attended when they were younger. And I considering their two week programming classes for DS a few years back but he wanted to go to wilderness camp instead.

My opinion is a bit mixed. My son took the game design 'camp' (9yrs & 10 maybe?), and my daughter a graphics design. Both kids enjoyed the camp & the counselors were knowledgeable in what they were teaching and made things fun. They do give the kids breaks from the computer and they use it to play group active games to give them a change of pace. The kids had their own computer to work on during the week, and were mostly working on their own thing unless they wanted work in a group. And the other kids who attended were interested in similar things so DS got along with them.

But as a computer programmer myself, I felt a bit let down by the level of the instruction. Although I expect from the format this is a bit what the student makes of it. I felt my son didn't really get that much more from it than he could have if I'd bought him the software and allowed him to spend that much time of his computer with it. I'm probably wrong about that as many of these programs can be a bit fiddly and it's helpful to have someone to help.

But it was good enough I was willing to consider their two week programming class as a good intensive way for my son to get into programming.

It is expensive compared to half day "fun" camps in my area. But it's not that different from other equivalent type classes around here. (We live right by the camp in our area, so I'm considering day costs.. not overnight.) Keep in mind it's all day, you are playing for their equipment & software cost, much of the software they teach costs a pretty penny, cost of facilities (usually university facilities), and cost of their staff many who have at least two years in a computer science degree behind them.

I hope that is useful.

DeeDee #226552 01/10/16 04:20 PM
    D
    DeeDee Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Thanks, bluemagic!

DeeDee #226554 01/10/16 05:09 PM
    B
    B
    One more thing. Be careful what section you sign your child up to by reading the class descriptions carefully. Most of the introductory "game programming" classes are learning how to make mods or extensions to existing programs. And if your child doesn't already play or enjoy that particular game they might not find it as interesting.

Also the camp we went to (several years ago) felt fairly informal. So if Day 1 didn't go great we probably could have moved DS to a different section. And once they knew your child they would be happy to move you child to a class appropriate to their ability even if they were younger. Exception for certain programs like their programming academies. But I think that is dependent on the directory.

Last edited by bluemagic; 01/10/16 05:18 PM.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent