Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 231 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    chay #226499 01/08/16 04:10 PM
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by chay
    OP is in Canada so DYS is irrelevant anyway.

We've been through testing a few times with both kids now and our psych said they aren't allowed to give the raw scores so you might not be able to get those up here (at least in my province). We were given IQ ranges though to go along with the %iles (95% confidence interval) but I know other families that tested with different testers that didn't get those and I dug this stuff up for them -

If you have the percentile and want to compute the confidence interval of IQ you can get an idea using the chart on page 6 from this -
    http://www.pearsonassess.ca/content...number-4-4-1-gai-with-canadian-norms.pdf

The American one has it on page 5 -
    http://images.pearsonclinical.com/images/assets/WISC-IV/80720_WISCIV_Hr_r4.pdf

I realize they are both for the WISC-IV and for the GAI but all of our %ile and IQ ranges matched those so I figure it should be close. aeh can correct me if that is wrong.

FWIW we were actually were given percentiles that fell between 99 and 99.9.

I have USA norms only, but the CA norms are very similar (within 1 point or two in most cases). The SEM for US norms at this age is 3.00 for the FSIQ, which means a 95% confidence interval of +/- 6 points.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    eyreapparent #226502 01/08/16 04:58 PM
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    After playing around with the norm tables a little, I've concluded that:

1. VCI is a significant relative strength.
    2. PSI is a significant relative weakness.
    3. VSI may be a low estimate, as it results from a higher motor-free spatial reasoning score (VP) and a lower motor-involved spatial score (BD), suggesting that the same motor speed/coordination factors (or whatever else may have slowed her down) that manifested as lower PSI may have depressed the BD score. (I determined this from the most likely subtest scores to have resulted in the collection of index percentiles provided.) She's very young, so asynchrony may be able to explain all of the motor speed discrepancies.
    4. Most of the achievement scores are actually statistically in line with her VCI, with the exception of Pseudoword Decoding and Numerical Ops, which are higher than predicted. Math Problem Solving is on the lower end of expectations, but I agree that it probably has been affected by her limited formal instruction in math.

MHID #226503 01/08/16 05:19 PM
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    I currently include raw scores, standard/scaled scores, percentiles, confidence intervals, classification ranges, etc. in all my eval reports. Other professionals may have different practices. It may be that certain school systems have policies that regulate the nature of score reports, which I do understand.

At one point, I included only standard score ranges and percentiles in my reports (no scaled/standard scores or raw scores), with qualitative descriptive categories for subtests, after bad experiences with a series of parents who misused score information against their own and other persons' children. I've since reverted to more data, rather than less, mainly because that's what I would want if I were the receiving parent or professional.

eyreapparent #226504 01/08/16 05:22 PM
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    aeh,

You are gold! The psych told us that her PSI was affected by her weak fine motor skills. She noted that DD was relatively slow and that she was developing "incorrect letter formation techniques". So, what you're saying makes total sense. You are really good at what you do, aeh. We're lucky you're on the forums.

MHID, No worries! We all learn from these posts and I'm interested in how openly available raw scores are as well.

I wonder what prompted them to make a policy decision to hold back the raw scores here?

Last edited by eyreapparent; 01/08/16 05:37 PM.
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM