Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 231 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #226456 01/08/16 04:26 AM
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    We finally received the results of DD6 pyscho educational eval from our school's board psychologist, yesterday.

She was 6.5 at the time of the test and was given the WISC-V. We were given the results in percentiles.

VCI 99.9
    VSI 98
    FRI 97
    WMI 98
    PSI 58

GAI 99

We were not given raw scores, or an IQ number. Does a GAI 99 generally translate to an IQ of 130+? I know to know the exact IQ we'd need her exact scores, but I'm okay with having a range.

She was also given the WIAT-III

Reading Composite: 98
    Word Reading: 97
    Decoding: 99
    Spelling: 96
    Numerical operations: 99.9
    Problem Solving: 79

The psych indicated that DD had difficultly with Place Value and Money. Is this because she hasn't been exposed to these concepts in school? I was wondering what would cause her to score lower on problem solving?

Any thoughts on the results would be appreciated. I have to thank this board for helping me be not totally clueless at that meeting yesterday. Also, as an aside, we were surprized by these results. We had an inkling but weren't expecting any 99 and 98 percentile results.

Thanks!

eyreapparent #226459 01/08/16 07:29 AM
    G
    G
    98th percentile is considered to be 2 standard deviations above average (or a scaled score of 130). 99.9th percentile is considered to be 3 standard deviations above average (or a scaled score of 145). It sounds like your daughter tested solidly in what most consider the "moderately gifted" range. A GAI in the 99th percentile is somewhere in the middle of that range.

Can you get more test details? We found the psychological write-ups to be very helpful.

Anyways, those are great scores! It must be a huge relief to you to have your suspicions validated by a standardized test (I know it was for us).

eyreapparent #226460 01/08/16 08:04 AM
    C
    C
    I think the 99.9% VCI may qualify your child as a Davidson Young Scholar, but a more complete score report may be needed.

http://www.davidsongifted.org/young...holars___Qualification_Criteria_384.aspx

Testing was very helpful for us in making decisions for our child (we didn't think he was gifted until we tested). I hope having some hard data is helpful for you too!

Last edited by cmguy; 01/08/16 08:17 AM.
    cmguy #226461 01/08/16 08:29 AM
    L
    L
    Originally Posted by cmguy
    I think the 99.9% VCI may qualify your child as a Davidson Young Scholar, but a more complete score report may be needed.

Actually, I think that they take the VCI for the WISC IV, but on the WISC V, it would appear that they need to meet the criteria in other categories (visual spatial, fluid reasoning), as well.

Still, very strong scores! The WIAT differences, I would suspect, could be due to exposure. Did they do a discrepancy analysis? aeh could probably comment as to whether those differences are meaningful. We found DS's WISC/WIAT discrepancy analysis to be very interesting.

eyreapparent #226467 01/08/16 09:25 AM
    L
    L
    If you were wondering where the 98th vs 99th line is, I believe 134 starts the 99th, and you need to consider confidence intervals, so it's a range.

eyreapparent #226468 01/08/16 09:39 AM
    G
    G
    I've found this to be a very helpful reference chart that gives a good correlation of percentiles to scaled scores:

http://www.iqcomparisonsite.com/iqtable.aspx

The 15 SD percentile column is the one you want.

It depends on how the percentiles are rounded. 99th percentile could be anywhere from 133 all the way up to 144, because on percentile reports you generally see either 99 or 99.9 (but nothing in between).

eyreapparent #226480 01/08/16 11:10 AM
    C
    C
    OP is in Canada so DYS is irrelevant anyway.

We've been through testing a few times with both kids now and our psych said they aren't allowed to give the raw scores so you might not be able to get those up here (at least in my province). We were given IQ ranges though to go along with the %iles (95% confidence interval) but I know other families that tested with different testers that didn't get those and I dug this stuff up for them -

If you have the percentile and want to compute the confidence interval of IQ you can get an idea using the chart on page 6 from this -
    http://www.pearsonassess.ca/content...number-4-4-1-gai-with-canadian-norms.pdf

The American one has it on page 5 -
    http://images.pearsonclinical.com/images/assets/WISC-IV/80720_WISCIV_Hr_r4.pdf

I realize they are both for the WISC-IV and for the GAI but all of our %ile and IQ ranges matched those so I figure it should be close. aeh can correct me if that is wrong.

FWIW we were actually were given percentiles that fell between 99 and 99.9.

eyreapparent #226488 01/08/16 12:14 PM
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    Thank you for all of the info. It was exactly what I was looking for and what I'm seeing fits in with where we feel she is.

Chay's right, we are in Canada, so DYS is not an option for us. However, the scores qualified her for placement in an enclosed class in our district. We will be arranging to tour the school in the spring to see if it's a good fit for DD.

I neglected to ask the psych specifically about confidence intervals (which I'm face palming about now), but did throw out a question regarding error margins. She said that the scores were outside the margin of error to be considered for the placement. Don't know if that means it's safe to assume 95% confidence.

George C, you mentioned being relieved. Yes, Yes we are relieved. I've been polking around on this board for three years feeling like we fit but also slightly worried that I was exaggerating or imagining things. That has diminished a lot since yesterday. These results give us a general road map we can work off of.

DH and I are not crazy after all! Woo hoo! Well not crazy about this at least.

eyreapparent #226490 01/08/16 01:11 PM
    A
    A
    We are in the US. My DS just took the WISC-V in December and the psych allowed me to take a picture of the score sheet which contains the raw scores. This may become handy when the extended norms table is available for WISC-V in our case, per aeh. If I were you, just for information purposes, I'd ask for the raw score and the FSIQ score.

Great score! So glad that you now have quantified your suspicion. We always knew that my DS was somewhat gifted but by taking the test, we now know what his strong areas are and it will help us advocate with his school and make academic plans for him.

eyreapparent #226493 01/08/16 02:11 PM
    C
    C
    I outed myself as a giant test nerd and specifically asked for the raw scores when we tested DS the second time so that I could do my own calculations using the American Extended norms since the psychologist wouldn't (we don't have Canadian extended norms).

Our Canadian psych told us that the provincial body that licences her forbids all psychologists from giving out raw scores (or at least that was my understanding/memory of the conversation we had on the topic). Not sure if it is all provinces or just mine. Lots of people I know don't even get the IQ numbers or a 95% CI range - just the percentiles.

In the end it is just a number and it doesn't really matter, it was more to satisfy my curiousity and nerdiness wink

And yes - it is a HUGE relief to know that you're not crazy (at least about this). I wouldn't have been able to advocate without knowing that I wasn't a complete nut bar.

Hope that the gifted program is a good one for her. We moved DS at the start of the year and it has been a huge improvement for him.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM