Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 233 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #226219 12/31/15 07:30 AM
    O
    oli Offline OP
    OP Offline
    O
    I started my 8-year old second grader on Redbird math. She has not gotten any above grade level instruction but seems to know almost all second grade and third grade material. She will panic and cry if she thinks something is too hard so I started her at second grade level. There are some things like addition models? that she is not familiar with. Well she thinks they are stupid and says that she uses her brain to get the answers and not any strategies, tables or lines. I'm wondering if she will run into trouble if I will advance her to third or fourth grade. She knows multiplication to 10 (and more) and division of course as well so I know she does not want to do those again. Do the kids need these different strategies later on the program or can they "just use their brain"?

oli #226241 01/01/16 04:58 AM
    O
    oli Offline OP
    OP Offline
    O
    Thank you. I forwarded her placement a step and there were few things DD needed to see. It is hard to figure out a working program for her as we are not in US so common core stuff is not helpful for her and here they use very different order to teach. For example her class has learned multiplication up to 10 times table and same for division but have only added easy double digit figures. Redbird has only multiplication in third grade but three digit adding in second grade. DD is good at mental math so she can do three digit adding and subtracting in her mind but was not familiar with any methods how to do it. I think I will forward her another step soon.

oli #226373 01/05/16 09:39 AM
    V
    V
    My kids used both EPGY and Redbird. I think Redbird has been much better designed than EPGY. It has projects for each level which my DS especially liked.

The methods they use are aligned to common core. So arithmetic is done quite differently than what we used growing up. There are entire discussions on the merit/demerit of the new approach. So will not repeat here.

Last edited by VR00; 01/05/16 09:41 AM.
    VR00 #226375 01/05/16 10:31 AM
    O
    oli Offline OP
    OP Offline
    O
    Thank you, I'm happy to hear you liked them both. I have decided I'll forward her to end of third year or beginning of the fourth and if I notice later that there are somethings she missed I'll try to find appropriate Khan Academy lessons for those things. She can not be accelerated at school so last thing she needs is more time on subjects she has already mastered.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations