Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 386 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Hi,
    We will relocate from Europe to Minnetonka, Minneapolis. DS qualify for the Navigator program. Is there anyone here with experience from this program?
    * Is there any substantial difference btw the schools (Scenic Hights/Excelencior)?
    * How would you describe a normal school day? Is there time for fun/play?
    *I assume that these children are allowed to accelerate in math, English etc. beyond the normal curriculum. But what do the do after grade 5? Is there a good middle school option around?
    *Where is it nice/convinient to live around any of those schools?
    *Is it possible to commute by train or is car commuting the only option (we are used to European cities with subways, trams, trains etc).
    *Any ideas, recommendations etc are more than welcome! We don't know much about this area at all and it is a big step to relocate.

Thanks!

B
    B
    Are you sure that he is actually "in" to the program and accepted? For this year or next year? Before you move anywhere, make sure, because he might qualify according to their criteria but if there are a limited number of slots, other kids may fill those if they are equally qualified. Usually these types of programs fill up fast and then close to new students by spring (for the coming fall).

F
    F
    I don't know about the Navigator program but I do know that the Minnetonka high schools have an IB program (my niece graduated high school from the program. She was not in the Navigator program). Also, there is no train in the area to my knowledge. I do think they bus the kids . There is a website for the program.

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Hi,
    We are not 100% sure of course, and we are still humble to the fact that he may not be accepted and in that case we would have to look at other options of course. If not accepted, home schooling may be our best option for some time.

Last edited by Soccermom; 01/12/16 05:49 PM.
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Thank you. Our son is presently in an IB primary program and we like many things about IB. However for HG/PG kids it can be difficult when they need a more accelerated curriculum in the primary and middle years. For example, there is a lot of group work and that requires classmates that are able to collaborate on the same/similar level and HG/PG children may have difficulties "fitting in". The DP-program (high school) is more challenging and may be an option eventually.

B
    B
    I can't really answer your questions, but I will send you a PM as well.

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Thank you! smile

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs