Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 338 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #225906 12/14/15 05:37 AM
    P
    Pirion Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    Just updating the situation with my DS8 (high IQ and poor school performance for no obvious reason). Following all the very helpful advice from people on this Forum I have talked to an educational psychologist who came highly recommended (I had to find a new private psych as DS doesn't qualify for school psychology services and the psych who did his IQ test has moved away). The new psych reviewed his IQ scores and some school reports and said there did seem to be a gap between his potential and his performance. She made the point that as he is young for his year (born just before the cut-off date) his IQ percentile (98%) would not be in comparison with his classmates but with other his age. So the gap may not be as large as I had originally thought (she did agree that even so there was a significant gap).

I hadn't thought of that but it makes sense and I wondered if anyone had any idea what sort of difference that would make? I checked with the school and the mean age for his year is 7 months older than him - so I guess what I am asking is would that 7 months make such a difference (on its own) to narrow that potential-performance gap?

She suggested testing for ADHD - the inattentive type but said he didn't like a classic presentation. They do something called the NEPSY-II which she said could pick up issues affecting learning not in the IQ report. I asked about stealth dyslexia and she hadn't heard of it - but suggested that if I was worried about dyslexia they could do a standard dyslexia test - the test they do is called the Dyslexia Screening Test - Junior.

So if anyone has any views on whether these tests are appropriate and/or if there is any benefit in doing the dyslexia test in particular (given he is a good reader) I would be very grateful. We live in a smallish town so there is not a great deal of choice of psych - if we aren't going to see anyone here it's a bit of a journey to the nearest big city so I am keen if possible to do any testing required here.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Pirion; 12/14/15 05:47 AM.
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    It is not unreasonable to do some executive function testing (including for ADHD), and for that purpose, the NEPSY-II is an appropriate instrument for this age. As to the comparison with older students--yes, the gap may not be quite as big, when comparing to age-mates, but it's still there. The mean age may be seven months older, but I imagine there are multiple children who are far closer in age to him than that in his class.

I don't have direct experience with the DST-J, but what I know of it on paper appears appropriate. It has UK norms, so that is also a small consideration (unless those norms are appropriate for you).

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    aeh #225914 12/14/15 02:27 PM
    P
    Pirion Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    Thanks aeh - much appreciated!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by spaghetti - 05/14/24 08:14 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs