Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 203 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by MT_momma
    his coding score was not a 1. I believe his coding score was a 5. His overall processing speed score was and 87.

While they aren't as low as 1, those scores can still be significantly low for a 2e child. My ds had a coding score of 8, and processing speed around 100, but still has significant fine motor issues. The key is - you can't know what's causing the discrepancy from the WISC on it's own. Having achievement testing at the same time such as WJ-III etc can help give clues re what's up, but again, it is not going to point to the cause of lower subtest scores without additional information. Neuropsych exams will typically include follow-up testing to help pinpoint the root cause when this type of discrepancy is observed - tests that can tease out fine motor vs visual challenges, tests of executive function etc.

DS was primarily tested for giftedness for a decision to be made whether or not his sometimes Attention issues were related to ADD or just SPD and over excitabilities. They didn't 100% rule out ADD, but said it is most likely overexcitablities.

What look like attention issues are sometimes children who are dealing with LDs or other issues that are preventing them from accomplishing the task they are being asked to perform. There were adults in both my dysgraphic ds' life and my vision-challenged dd's life who were convinced they had ADHD prior to their real daignosis, totally based on their behavior. DS looked like he was never paying attention in class, dd couldn't sit still. Neither one of them has ADHD, and the symptoms that looked like it disappeared when we found out what their real challenges were and accommodated/remediated the challenges. I believe the same logic applies to what is often thought to be overexcitabilities.

What I don't understand is how if he was already seen by a dev opt, why they wouldn't have picked anything up if there was an issue?

My guess is there's a chance that his vision is changing as he grows. That's why I mentioned how quickly eyesight can change in young children previously. Might not be that, but if you're seeing suggestions of a potential vision issue, I'd just keep in mind that vision changes can occur quite quickly in young children.

Best wishes,

polarbear

ps - in your original post you mentioned that symbol search was "closer to average with a 9". A score of 8 for coding and 9 for ss are actually quite similar - a difference of 1 in a subtest score isn't considered to be statistically significant. It also makes me wonder if vision isn't at least a piece of the puzzle.

Last edited by polarbear; 12/08/15 12:59 PM.
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Sorry for the confusion. I didn't want to broadcast too much info. By off the charts low, I meant in terms of SD spread.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Now that I am home and can see it-
    He had a scaled score of 5 for coding and 9 for symbol search.
    Hope that helps. Sorry for the confusion.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM