Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 275 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #21496 07/29/08 08:36 AM
    J
    OP Offline
    J
    My son was dx with Aspergers when he was 4 yrs. old and now that he's 5, the dx was taken away by the same neurologist and now he has been recognized as "gifted". He's skipping Kindergarten (at the Montessori he currently attends in a Chicago suburb) and he reads at around a 3rd/4th grade level. His math skills are probably around a 3rd grade level as well.

His current Montessori goes to 3rd grade and we happen to be in a very strapped public school district in which their gifted program is centered around P.E.T.S, hence why we're keeping him in Montessori until 3rd grade. I looked it up and it's a joke. 2nd grade boasts 30 minutes of extra homework a week. Are they serious??? How is that any kind of enrichment program?

Anyway, are there other public schools in Illinois that have better options for "gifted" children? We're willing to move to any Chicago suburb, even Chicago proper if a Regional gifted school would be more apporpriate/enriching for him. I just want to make sure he's reaching his potential and not being left behind because he's several grades past his current grade level.

Thank in advance!

Mom to 2 boys, Chicago suburbs

Hi Jessica,

I live in Illinois. Please feel free to p.m. me and I'll tell you what I know.

D
    D
    Another suggestion;
    http://www.ctd.northwestern.edu/resources/outreach.html#46

Maybe you all could enroll in some of these weekend offerings for fall and then ask around about the best public school options.
    I would also think that the locations (schools) where the classes are offered may have staff members who are knowledgeable accommodating regarding the needs of gifted students.

delbows #22525 08/11/08 05:13 PM
    L
    L
    I did a few programs at Northwestern while I was a student. They offer a lot for science and math acceleration, and many programs are of the correct nature for highly gifted kids. Also, Park Ridge has a good school system with gifted programs and opportunities for advanced coursework. My cousin has gone through elementary and middle school there and has gotten the challenge that she needed.

LilMick #22558 08/11/08 08:22 PM
    Mia Offline
    Wanna include me in the p.m.?

Jessica, we're also in the Chicago suburbs. I "third" the CTD classes; my 6yo ds KG did a math one this spring and had an absolute blast. The Center for Gifted out of National-Louis University also has enrichment classes, though we haven't tried those. One of KG's friends did one over the summer, though, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

As for us, KG did public K at a suburban Chicago public school, and it didn't go well -- the principal and administration were sure that their GT program, geared for MG kids, would have him covered, but it wouldn't have (he's 4th-5th grade reading and somewhere between third and fourth for math, with gaps here and there due to no formal instruction).

He's switching to one of the private gifted schools in the suburbs for first grade. I honestly haven't heard of any gifted public schools in the suburbs, though I know the city has a few; we are *not* willing to move into the city! I have also heard great things about Prairie Crossing charter school in Grayslake but have no first-hand experience whatsoever with that school. I do know they had a decent waiting list when I looked into them.

Get me in on the PMing! smile

Mia

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs