Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 106 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    I'm just curious how this sub-test or cluster is scored. Is this a test that is usually given on the WJ-IV Achievement test?

ETA: Also, how helpful is the WJ-IV as a test in determining if a student might have dyslexia? I understand other tests would need to be done to be sure, but is the WJ-IV capable of giving any clues?

Last edited by mountainmom2011; 11/03/15 10:02 AM.
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Yes, this subtest is usually given. It's scored on fairly specific criteria, which differ from item to item. Unless called out in scoring, spelling and punctuation may or may not count against the score (there are other subtests for that). My main issue with the subtest (on both the III and IV) is that it doesn't include any extended writing. So it tells you something about the student's sentence-level writing skills, but very little about the capacity to generate and organize lengthier text, which is a distinction that becomes increasingly important as students progress through the grades.

Overall, the WJIV can be quite helpful in Dx-ing dyslexia, depending partially on just which tests are given. It's based on a selective testing model, where the examiner is supposed to make decisions about further testing after giving the core subtests. In addition, there are three main batteries (cognitive, oral language, achievement), which contribute distinct and overlapping data.

If I were looking for indicators regarding dyslexia, I would start from the reading and phonological processing tests, and then expand from there, depending on the findings.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Hi aeh,

Thank you for your reply. smile Could I email the results to you because I'm really having a hard time making sense of them. The report was printing up that day and the format of it is confusing me. I will be getting a more detailed report in a few weeks but in the meantime I'm still trying to get what she needs in school and need to know if there is anything in her tests results that should be brought to the teacher's and/or school's attention.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Please do. PM me.

Last edited by aeh; 11/04/15 03:14 PM.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Originally Posted by aeh
    Please do. PM me.

Thank you aeh!

PM sent smile

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Oh, and I forgot to ask, what is the significance between a Brief and a Broad test? And Academic Skills versus Academic Applications? I see the subtests are the same just calculated to come up with a different score under those names. Why is this done?

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent