Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 315 guests, and 40 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    C
    chitose Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Thanks so much for this insight. That's really wonderful that your daughter had such a positive experience with acceleration. Based on knowing her for her whole life + her IQ score, I feel like she could handle the sort of acceleration you're talking about here, academically at least.

Can I ask, did the school(s) in which you did the acceleration offer any GT programs? Or was she simply with "normal" kids throughout, just ones that happened to be older than her? I wonder how much difference that makes, too.

N
    ndw Offline
    N
    Primary school DD was in a full time GT class twice. The benefits of that class were very much to do with the teachers but there is no doubt she found kids like her in those classes. She had one year in a day a week pull out program and a number of those kids remained friends as she moved into high school. High school she is with a group of strongly academic kids some of whom may be gifted but not so identified. She appreciates kids now with a strong work ethic rather than gifted per se and her best friend is smart and works hard rather than gifted.
    There are benefits to having GR kids around but it was more important for us to have a flexible school who enabled the accelerations. Some GT programs are actually quite rigid, others can be about marks and achievement, and that would not have worked for our DD who is more about learning than getting awards for example.
    It's just important to know that there are many paths and if you keep the focus on helping DD to be challenged and happy then a lot of the other stuff sorts itself out in the long run. There is no one road that will suit everyone and that is why we often end up beating our own path according to each kids' sneers and circumstances.
    If you are in the US there are options for Colleges with early entry programs. I have no particular knowledge of them apart from what I read on the Internet but if you have real thoughts that your DD is heading in that direction you have time to explore.

N
    ndw Offline
    N
    I mean needs not sneers...sorry!

C
    chitose Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Thanks again for this insight. There *are* lots of paths and the most important factor, always, is having a good, stable, and loving home.

I don't particularly care if she goes to college early - she already skipped kindergarten and so, on a traditional path, will finish high school when she's only 17. I'm in no hurry to turn her out into the big wide world. I just want her to get an education to that point suitable to her gifts. Thank you again.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM