Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 433 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #224444 10/26/15 10:07 AM
    B
    BSM Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    This is a tough topic for us. DS12 is ASD with anxiety, perfectionism, low self-esteem.

While he has been doing a little better in school and with assignments lately, he has been mouthing off at home, and to some extent in school.

He seems to be angry, and he has been easily bored of late. I know this can be signs of depression, though he also has fun when engaged with things he finds enjoyable.

Recently he has been increasingly disrespectful around the house, refusing to do chores, acting aggressively, etc. My wife and I have tried traditional punishments, such as taking away electronics, limiting other privileges, but these approaches seem to just make his behavior worse.

I've had the most success through patience and being sympathetic toward him. Given some time to cool off, he usually comes around and apologizes, but he will not back down in the heat of the moment. Some of his responses are probably just hormones and need time to be worked out, though I am concerned that there may be underlying depression.

Reasoning with him or pointing out his irrational behavior does not work. If he is calm he might understand, but when angry, he is like a brick wall.

Thoughts?

BSM #224461 10/26/15 12:41 PM
    Well, my DD16 lived through this age with anxiety/perfectionism/low self-esteem-- and without ASD, though she has always had many spectrum-ey traits.

Our approach to discipline has always been much like Portia's. We are very strict with respect to behavioral CHOICES, and try to foster/coach emotional maturity and control. Still, I don't mind mentioning that the start of adolescence is pretty volatile for any child, and those with other confounding variables, well-- they may find it especially so.

DD found that retreat to low-sensory environments was a good way to manage. Many of my friends have used this approach with volatile children, regardless of LOG or diagnosis. No good can come of escalation in the moment-- for anyone, honestly.

Practice the statements that you would like to use to "cue" a behavioral time-out, and then sit down and rationally (when he's in the proper frame of mind, that is) lay out your behavioral contract, explaining that this is your job as a parent-- to help him learn to manage his behaviors so that he learns how to be functional as a teen and young adult. You can't throw tantrums at other people as a way to manage your frustrations. It just isn't done.

I could tell you what we did, but it's too idiosyncratic to be of use. We had a couple of "spots" in our home that were go-to "chill out" zones. We also developed a few "step down" exercises for use out and about-- though DD never really needed that in particular (again, idiosyncratic, probably).

"You cannot speak to me that way. You need to go to ______ until you are calmed down, please."

"You are acting as though you are two years old right now. If you really were two, I would put you down for a nap. I think that might still be a good idea-- go sit on your bed, please."

"Stairs. Sit. Now."

I also used to walk away SO THAT I WOULD NOT ENGAGE with her.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    BSM #224462 10/26/15 12:44 PM
    Pretty much what Portia said. Irrationality while in the throes of anger is not an ASD/depression/anxiety trait, it's a normal one, and in a gifted kid with emotional intensity, the response is similarly intense.

We find that the key to dealing with this is to send our DD10 off to be by herself to deal with her emotions, because engagement at that point will only bring escalation. We wait until she's ready to have the conversation in a more rational frame of mind. Sometimes that sends her into an emotional feedback loop-slash-death spiral, and we have to check in with her from time to time in an attempt to short circuit that.

Only once the raw emotions have been brought under control can constructive parenting begin.

Portia #224659 10/30/15 07:07 AM
    E
    E
    Originally Posted by Portia
    You have to figure out what is ASD related and what is actual poor behavior choices. You cannot discipline ASD as those behaviors cannot be helped.
    I'm hijacking a little, sorry--but how do you make that determination?

eco21268 #224660 10/30/15 07:37 AM
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by eco21268
    You have to figure out what is ASD related and what is actual poor behavior choices. You cannot discipline ASD as those behaviors cannot be helped.

Exactly. DD has ADHD and EF issues and in third grade she was very slow and off task and wasn't completing work. She would also hide her work or lie about it. The teacher kept sending me emails saying that she needs to make better choices, which ticked me off, but on the other hand it really wasn't Ok that she was hiding her work.

In fourth grade the teachers didn't seem to know how to approach her issues at all. She spent a lot of time wandering around the classroom or hallways and doing nothing because she knew she could get away with it. How much do you pressure a student with a disability to get their act together?

blackcat #224661 10/30/15 07:48 AM
    E
    E
    Originally Posted by blackcat
    She spent a lot of time wandering around the classroom or hallways and doing nothing because she knew she could get away with it.

I wouldn't assume the reason she's wandering/being unproductive is because she knows she can get away with it. It's so easy to think we understand the motivation behind a behavior, and be totally, dead wrong about it. (I'm saying that as an often-chagrined parent).

Here's an example: I recently found out that this one particular stupid thing that got DS in trouble FIVE years ago was because he was covering up something he was self-conscious about. Yes, really, it took him five years to explain it to me.

It's really hard to figure out what's driving behavior, isn't it?

eco21268 #224663 10/30/15 08:52 AM
    B
    BSM Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B

Sorry, I've been busy for a couple of days, but yes, I had the same exact question. If this were easy to figure out, I don't think parenting a 2e kid would be nearly as challenging.

eco21268 #224666 10/30/15 09:24 AM
    D
    D

Whoa, I want to back up a little here.

My family's perspective is that ASD behaviors must be addressed through "discipline"-- discipline comes from the word "disciple," one who is taught.

No matter why the behavior is happening, if it's socially undesirable, the person has to learn to not do that, or at least to choose very carefully when to do it because there are negative consequences for doing it.

This is fundamentally a *teaching* process (not punishment). It involves helping them see what is expected of them and to do that.

DeeDee #224671 10/30/15 10:32 AM
    E
    E
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    No matter why the behavior is happening, if it's socially undesirable, the person has to learn to not do that, or at least to choose very carefully when to do it because there are negative consequences for doing it.

This is fundamentally a *teaching* process (not punishment). It involves helping them see what is expected of them and to do that.
    Agree, but the approach might be different for things a child knows how to do, but doesn't do and things they don't yet know or have the skills to do.

As a for instance: lying and/or hiding assignments. What if child knows better than to lie, but doesn't know how to ask for help or self-soothe when overwhelmed/anxious. (This is the kind of parenting quandary that drives me insane.) There should be consequences, but of what sort? I lean toward natural consequences (since you didn't tell the truth, I'm now going to monitor closely and communicate more frequently, etc.), but sometimes that seems pretty namby-pamby.

DeeDee #224672 10/30/15 10:39 AM
    Originally Posted by DeeDee

Dee Dee,

I totally agree with you, that regardless of the source of the behavior the discipline has to be directed at teaching a corrected behavior. But - for DS8 (Happy Birthday today to my little man), we really do need to understand the source.

If it's volitional, discussion of bad "choices" and alternatives, and tailoring natural consequences are reasonable and helpful.

If it 2e-driven and NOT volitional, discussion of "choices" and "consequences" drives DS into a state of wild anxiety. In these instances, he did NOT make a bad choice, and no natural consequence will change the behavior.

To take it to a base level - a baby doesn't make a choice to poop in his diapers, and you can't "natural consequence" him into stopping it. You have to support him (with diapers) until he has the capacity to learn to use a toilet.

Likewise for DS - he didn't "choose" to act out when he got overwhelmed, frustrated, whatever rose out of his 2e challenges. Any discipline that assumes he did is doomed to fail.

DS's teacher got a glimpse of this the other day. She sent me an email saying she wanted DS to help put together a good consequence. He suggested something very extreme - really an unconnected punishment. She said "but the consequence is to help you stop behavior." She said he looked totally shocked at the idea and said - "but it can't. I didn't mean to do it." The teacher was sincerely baffled. But honestly, I think she still thinks he's making "bad choices."

What do I do when it's not volitional? That's tough and situation dependent. It can't just wait-and-support, since he may not ever develop a full capacity for self control. But one thing I do always emphasize for him is that it's hard work growing up, and I'm there to help. I point out that math is easy for him, but harder for some kids. Controlling behavior is easy for some kids, but harder for him. They both have to work hard to learn.

Also, I give him hope that it will keep getting easier as he grows. It has been getting easier bit by bit, and I point out changes and improvements. But this all makes him feel really awful and lonely. The whole unconditional love thing keeps him going, I think.

So anyway, this is a longer than necessary post to say that - for us - discipline is hopeless if it doesn't derive from an understanding of the source of the behavior.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM