Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 208 guests, and 7 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #224414 10/25/15 09:36 PM
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Good god, I had no idea that my kid hadn't memorized basic math facts.

She isn't mathy but likes math fine. While she doesn't seem to be mathematically gifted, I know she works above grade level and makes good grades. But I just realized she doesn't have her math facts memorized.

I downloaded the Big Brainz software for her (math facts in a video game-type environment), but it is too noisy and fast-paced for her. She tends to be slow and precise and is pretty sensitive to loud noises. Having your character whapped in the head when you miss something is kind of distressing for her.

She hates memorizing math facts. I don't think she's got any particular problem, she just doesn't think it is fun or interesting and isn't that good at it.

Any ideas of things I can do to help her get her basic math facts memorized?

S
    S
    My son likes the games on the free website

http://www.fun4thebrain.com/addition.html

They are low key and not very exciting, but don't have timers and several don't punish you for getting answers wrong.

He particularly likes the MURB monster math game, which will let you choose addition, subtraction, multiplication, Or division. If you have a kid who plays video games often, he or she will not be impressed.

C
    C
    You have to pay for it but aleks.com has two parts to it....a concept grade level part and a math facts part. The math facts part is called quick tables. It has a very low visual part (timed but not pressure). During the learning phase and then you unlock various simple games for additional practice....low key, not as advanced video game wise as big brainz. What is nice is that you see a chart and visually see your progress. I do think that this type of practice works for kids with average and above processing speeds. If you are below average in processing then I don't think this is for you.

D
    D
    Although our teachers often maintain that math facts have to be practiced as an isolated skill, some kids get more "bang for buck" practicing them in context-- that is, in multi-digit multiplication and division problems.

P
    P
    Found the same as DeeDee - it was doing more complex math that required simplifying fractions/ equations, finding primes, factoring and all that kind of stuff that got DS his math facts. Now, they're essential to doing anything interesting, and AoPS problems gave him tons of practice. Before, they were isolated factoids with no intrinsic meaning or interest.

B
    B
    My son hates repetition and struggled to sit down and try to learn his math facts. I found this program: http://www.multiplication.com/teach/teach-the-times-tables ... He loved it. (He is a good math student, but far more language driven.) In the program, numbers are given names and stories are given to make the math facts fun.

K
    K
    Is not having her math facts memorized slowing her down?

I do not have all of my math facts memorized, and I never did. I certainly tried, repeatedly. I'm slightly sketchy on my 6-9 times tables, but I can synthesize the right answer based on the lower tables very quickly. This has never caused me any problems in school or career, except for feeling bad about myself because I couldn't get my math facts memorized.

Just another perspective. smile

K
    K
    Simple flash card practice might be the answer. There is also a game by Think Fun called Math Dice. I like to use both of those to teach the 3rd graders their math facts. You can find the flash cards at the dollar store (Dollar Tree). I would start with the lower 0-9 and then when that is mastered, move up to the 10-12 facts.

Last edited by kelly0523; 10/26/15 08:50 AM.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations