Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 125 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    Can we make this a Christmas ideas thread? I would love ideas for my game-obsessed 7yo. He is a pretty advanced game player. We have all the obvious stuff and are looking to expand our Euro game collection, as well as looking to acquire more short but interesting card games. I'll add some of our favorites for others to consider:

Quirkle
    Ticket To Ride
    Munchkin
    Hive
    Bohnanza (note: this is DS's favorite game but I find it tedious)
    Forbidden Island
    Carcassone
    Dungeon (kids like this, we don't)

Card games:
    Gubs
    Love Letter
    Pit
    Dutch Blitz
    Spot It (can be played by 3 and up and still popular for a quick round)

Ask and you shall receive!

Card games: bridge, Wizard (a trump game that is a good primer for bridge), 5 crowns

Other: mastermind

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Q
    Q
    My 8 year old loves Dominion. The box says it takes 1/2 hour and up, but we've never played a game that took less than an hour.

Can someone explain Dixit to me? The cards are beautiful, but our games aren't that interesting. I'm wondering if there is a way to make that game more fun.

U
    U
    I'm drawn to Dixit since DD is so visual and creative, buthaving watched a Tabletop video of it, I don't think it's the right game for us yet. That's a great resource if one has the time and knows what to look at--has videos showing people playing a game through:

http://geekandsundry.com/shows/tabletop/

Based on today, I'm definitely going to pick up Coup. We like Love Letters, and it seems similar but more fun. Our favorite games are those that are not hard to learn but have intense strategy that doesn't get boring.

B
    B
    With Dixit, everyone has a hand full of cards with odd artwork that can have multiple interpretations, like a snowman looking out a window or a mouse chasing a cat (don't know if those are real cards, just making it up). When it's your turn, you secretly choose a card from your hand and you make up a clue about it, something that you think describes your card but isn't obvious (like you might say "Out of Place" to describe your snowman. You state your clue, and then everyone else looks at their own cards and picks one that they think best fits your clue (usually there is a good choice if the clue is vague enough, just one or a few words). Everyone gives their card to you and you shuffle them up along with yours, then line them up face-up, and everyone secretly votes on which card was yours. You get points if people guess your card, but lose points if everyone guesses it (because then your clue was too obvious). You want your clue to be obvious enough that someone gets it, but not so obvious that everyone chooses your card. Also, the people who guess your card correctly get points, and they get points if someone else chooses their card rather than yours. That's a very brief summary to give you an idea. Everyone that we have played the game with seems to enjoy it, including people who don't normally like games. It's very simple to learn. After a round or two, everyone understands what they are supposed to do. Our only problem has been that when DS was younger he would wave his cards around, basically showing everyone at the table what he had in his hand.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    Based on today, I'm definitely going to pick up Coup. We like Love Letters, and it seems similar but more fun. Our favorite games are those that are not hard to learn but have intense strategy that doesn't get boring.

Citadels is another card game I thought of. It's a good game for larger groups (4 or more people). Simple to learn, interesting artwork, lots of interaction between players, etc.

Originally Posted by Questions202
    My 8 year old loves Dominion. The box says it takes 1/2 hour and up, but we've never played a game that took less than an hour.

It gets faster when everyone knows all the cards by heart. People often don't even wait for others to finish their turn before they start taking their own, and it can really whip around the table. But you have to play a lot of games before you get to that point.

P
    P
    DS11 was introduced to Go at math camp this summer, and became an instant addict. Very visual-spatial. Way less complex than chess, but supposedly much harder to strategize well.

U
    U
    I've thought about getting Go, but DS is already spending many hours a week playing chess and can crush all of us. wink

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM