Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Thanks, 'Neato! I'll check out the Schonell test.

By the way, I think I solved the problem about the Bob book. The Flesch-Kincaid algorithm is heavily sensitive to the average number of syllables per word. I got a spurious result because the book I was looking at happened to have a few two-syllable names, each of which was used a number of times. In a book with relatively few words, that bumped the grade level much higher than it should have been.

BB

Try this test.

http://www.readingkey.com/athena/en/trialTest.php

I think it's quite good. It doesn't test comprehension though.

Last edited by LMom; 08/08/08 01:11 PM. Reason: grammar

LMom
    Thanks LMom! That one is much more detailed. I think you can feel better about your child's reading level with your test.

Did you think anything was a little off with the percentage rankings?

Thanks LMom! That looks like a pretty accurate test. When DS is up for it, we'll check it out.

BB

Originally Posted by Wren
    I am not sure if I am going to make her wait until 6. We were at
    And, I will fold anyway on this, I know.

Ren
    Please don't fold on this one, Wren, dear! If she can learn that you take her actions seriously enough to have consequences - what a great lesson. After all, she isn't being harmed by having to wait until age 6 for a dog.

Sure, you may regret that you made that particular goal, but if you have to suffer a bit waiting until she is six, perhaps it will be a good 'learning experience' for you too!

I do back down when I was being silly if it would hurt my kid, but never for convience. It's ok for you not to be perfect!

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Originally Posted by Lorel
    Forgive me for saying so Wren, but I have trouble with the idea that a three year old has academic habits that she must "work on". She may be precocious, but she is three after all.

I think it's fine, if it doesn't become your whole lives, which I know you - it won't. I say, that if a little hothousing up front can get her into an academic placement that will work - a big if I know - then I say "Go for it!"

I also think that some 3 year olds are precocious enough to get into bad habits. Some kids seem to be born 'addicted' to the easy answer. Character building happens from birth, and academics is just another area where one gets to practice building character. Just remember to praise every tiny little effort - no matter how small it may be - with a kid who is up against this.

Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Originally Posted by incogneato
    Did you think anything was a little off with the percentage rankings?

I think the ranking is completely off. May be it shows that people tend to give it to bright kids, or they may not use it correctly or may be there is a problem with the program. Lots of the results end with gr.0, which most likely means that people don't bother to do the 2nd part of the test or that they didn't do it correctly.

I look only at the grade level. We do it every few months and I save the results for future references. I've been using it with both of the boys. Having done the test a few times in the last few years I think the very first section should be a little bit longer since my feeling is that a word or two extra words in the first level makes for a huge difference in the overall score even though I don't feel the kids made adequate progress.

Does anybody know about a good spelling test I could use to measure DS5 progress? While I am typing this DS5 is creating his own crossword puzzle which includes words like oxygen, hydrogen, teenager, raspberries, submarine.

LMom
    K
    K
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    I also think that some 3 year olds are precocious enough to get into bad habits. Some kids seem to be born 'addicted' to the easy answer. Character building happens from birth, and academics is just another area where one gets to practice building character. Just remember to praise every tiny little effort - no matter how small it may be - with a kid who is up against this.

Grinity

I totally agree praising effort or finding an activity for your child that would be challenging for them is all a very good thing.

I'm still a bit alarmed about that kind of tone when referring to preschoolers from a tester. I guess in my ideal world, 4 year olds could have a bad day, or show their true colors, and get a meaningful and appropriate school placement. Call me a crazy idealist! wink

K
    K
    Thanks for the readingkey link! DS had a lot of fun with that going for speed.

It was great for DD6! She gained a lot of confidence when I told her what her reading grade level was!

Confidence is something we have been working on with her, so thanks!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM