Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Our DS4 is the same with the not wanting to work hard if something doesn't come to him right away. We do the you read a page/i read a page too, and he scans the pages first to see which one might have a word he doesn't know, then he chooses the other page to read. He doesn't like sounding out words either. When he comes to a word he doesn't know, he'll try a few guesses based on what letters are in the word, but he doesn't try to figure it out by sounding out the word.

We have to remember to praise the effort too - that seems to help. I remember to praise the effort more on physical stuff, because DS is so very cautious, but i need to work at my praising the effort on the academic stuff too. DS4 also goes through phases when he doesn't want any help (especially with lego stuff), which is nice. smile

L
    L
    The reason my son wouldn't read very much at 4 was because his eyes got tired and lost focus after a very short time and I didn't know there was a problem until he was 7. At his 4 yr old checkup, he showed two doctors how he could name all the words in the first several sentences in a book (probably somewhere between 3rd & 4th grade level) that he hadn't seen before when I spelled out the words for him, but he wouldn't just read it for them. Ages 5-7, he seemed to be able to read at a high level but would only read maybe a paragraph if that much and then he wanted me to do the reading, unless it was double spaced and larger print. At age 5, he read one-page reports (always double-spaced) to go along with his letter of the week show & tell in Kindergarten that usually came up around 6th-8th Flesch Kincade grade level on Microsoft Word. He read a report on his GPS that came up 12th grade level but he missed a few words on that one when he read it to the class.

He said reading gave him a headache. When he had his first vision exam, they didn't think he had a vision problem because he could see everything on the eye chart, but I knew something was not right because I thought if he could already read well that he would be reading more by himself instead of wanting me to read to him all the time. His developmental pediatrician was the first to notice the vision focusing problem and sent us to a developmental optometrist who confirmed that my son did have a problem. Even though my son couldn't have practiced reading very much because of this vision problem, at age 7, he was able to read a paragraph from an article in Time magazine, but he kept losing his place and skipping lines. He did not make any errors or lose his place in his reading when he had a finger underneath the words as he read. About a year after he had vision therapy, he willingly read entire Wikipedia articles out loud to me.

I really think playing computer and video games are what motivated my son to keep reading even though he had a vision focusing problem that made reading more difficult for him and gave him a headache. Also, I think being in a musical theater group with kids of all ages where he had to read lines and song lyrics with older kids helped.

He used to love Brain Quest and we always had to get the ones several grade levels ahead of his age. We sometimes took Brain Quest with us when we went to a fast food restaurant and somebody would usually ask me where we got it because my son got so excited over answering some of the questions and he was obviously having fun with it. Some of his older gifted friends are involved in Quiz Bowl at the public school and I feel kind of sad that he can't do this with them, but we watch Cash Cab and Who Wants to be a Millionaire and sometimes Jeopardy together and he enjoys that. I think trivia games for trivia loving kids is a great motivation for learning. My son got his first Trivial Pursuit game at 4 and he liked to ask me the questions. He discovered that I wasn't as smart as he thought I was when he got that game. I used to call him "... Smarty Pants" so he called me "Lori Genius." I lost my status as Lori Genius when he got that game. I couldn't get away with making up some of the answers that I didn't know when he asked me questions all day long. The answers were on the back of the card.

One of the few books that he would sometimes read to other people was a coloring book with jokes in it that we bought at a dollar store. He never wanted to color in it though. I never could motivate him to color in the lines and this was a problem at our public school where coloring is still required in 6th grade, according to one of my son's public schooled friends. The Kindergarten teacher wanted my son to go to a transitional first grade after Kindergarten (a year in between Kindergarten and First Grade) even though he was reading at a very high level and doing math above grade level, because he wouldn't color in the lines, but I am doing my "duty as a parent" as another teacher at the school called it, by homeschooling my son.

Originally Posted by Wren
    When I say smoothly, trying her best, which means "stop, breathe and think". I think that is a reasonable request. Since we have used this tester before, I think we will get good feeback. And she actually likes doing the test with this psychologist. She is well known in NYC and interacts well with kids. \

You can also use, "Slow is Smooth, and Smooth is Fast"

W
    Wren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    I think I wasn't explicite why this was an issue. The tester told us to work on this. She told us she would score high enough to get into the second round of Hunter but this was a behavior she needs to work on.

I think I made it sound like I just wanted her to score well for my own amibions. I think this more of an issue for the OLSAT where the correlation with the SB is only 50%.

Ren

Forgive me for saying so Wren, but I have trouble with the idea that a three year old has academic habits that she must "work on". She may be precocious, but she is three after all.

K
    K
    I agree Lorel, and I'm really surprised someone who tests preschoolers would even suggest it.

Lori H. mentions the "Flesch-Kincaid Reading Test", which I'd never heard of. Do others have any experience with this? There's a reasonable description of it at Wikipedia, and out of curiosity I decided to test one of the Bob books that DS4 has been reading. It showed up as Grade Level 2.7, but that seems ridiculously high to me. Or do I just not have a very good sense for what's read at the various grade levels?

BB

Perhaps the tester was alluding to the environment at Hunter, as in, if she is going to attend this school...here are some things they expect.

Might be more of a personality issue? DD8 could thrive in an environment like that at three or four. DD6 wouldn't fare so well....because of personality not level of intelligence.

I guess time will tell if it's a good fit. I would guess there are brilliant children in New York who would qualify intellectually to attend Hunter, but don't, and grow up to be immensely successful.

Try this one BB

http://members.tripod.com/~gleigh/readtst.htm

It's the Shonell It seems pretty accurate but tests for fluency not comprehension. For my kids and the very bright kids I know, comprehension lags fluency and catches up later.

One way you can gauge comprehension is to ask questions at the end of a book. Or have your child write down every word they don't understand or know. DD8 and I have been having fun with this. But she doesn't like to write them down! She likes to belt them out at me and has me write them down!
    shocked

But, it's become a game and she has fun. Then we look up definitions and she re-reads the sentence.

Okay, you can't click on that link but if you copy and paste in your browser, it'll take you right to it.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM