Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by amielynn38
    I think his ADD likes symptoms are a result of his OEs. His psychomotor OE is strong. He moves constantly, even while reading! He is also very intense. I would agree with sensory issues as well.
    We are considering an outside evaluation versus the school one due to my hubs concerns of what he would like to share with the school.

I would seek an outside neuropsych evaluation, preferably someone with a lot of experience with ADHD, autism, and gifted. We found the most qualified people at a local children's hospital; depends where you are.

I would also plan to share findings with the school-- right now they're labeling him as "out of control", so if another label fits better that is not so pejorative, it would be useful for school to have that.

I will add that I don't believe in OEs. Usually that term is just a way to avoid noticing and naming a 2E issue. We found that the idea that gifted kids are "all more difficult" or "naturally intense" delayed our DS's autism diagnosis by several years, in a way that did nobody any good.

Last edited by DeeDee; 10/01/15 07:21 AM.
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    I don't believe in OEs. Usually that term is just a way to avoid noticing and naming a 2E issue. We found that the idea that gifted kids are "all more difficult" or "naturally intense" delayed our DS's autism diagnosis by several years, in a way that did nobody any good.
    It may be a matter of degree.

As a middle ground, experts in the field describe gifted intensity and overexcitability, while at the other extreme some less credentialed gifted consultancy websites share stories of children who may be twice exceptional but are described solely as "gifted". For example: a gifted first grader falling out of his chair because the room was too blue. Possibly such webpages conflate gifted and 2e issues and characteristics, serving neither community well.

That said, in some instances it may be difficult to tease apart gifted characteristics from those which may be indicative of autism or other learning difference or disability or diagnosis. While characteristics may be present, they may differ in frequency/degree exhibited.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM