Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (1 invisible), 384 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    ultramarina #222461 09/17/15 10:48 AM
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    DD is reporting that the obsessional thoughts are interfering with attention and EF to some degree. It doesn't seem to be severe, but she says it can happen.

Teachers have occasionally noted that DD takes a long time to complete work, but that it also tends to be exceptional work. She always finishes tests on time, if not early. At home, we find that she is rather distractible, except when she's not (and it's not really hyperfocus...just, sometimes it's better and sometimes not). She is talkative and extroverted and that's part of it. If we isolate her, she will work faster, but she hates it. I will go through phases of thinking it's really bad and then I'm around boys her age and she looks like a paragon of focus and maturity. OTOH, compared to some girls we know she looks all over the place. FWIW, DH probably has some subclinical ADHD-I. It's not terrible, but it's there. It looks a lot like his daughter, actually. His EF is low, but he compensates by being exceptionally good at things and doing a beautiful, careful job on them as long as he can find them and hand them in. (And this confuses me, because isn't ADHD often also about being careless?) Both of them have messy desks and rooms but beautiful handwriting and a gorgeous artistic aesthetic and ability.

ultramarina #222476 09/17/15 03:50 PM
    A
    A
    I'm late to the discussion, but wanted to mention that I had very severe OCD as a child and it definitely made work hard. My daughter was diagnosed with OCD earlier this year and did have obsessional compulsions. Her symptoms are subclinical now due to excellent CBT (including exposure response therapy). We haven't had difficulty with insurance covering it.

ultramarina #222484 09/17/15 06:35 PM
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    Lanie, I missed your post earlier....thank you for chiming in with your experience.

DD has had severe strep twice, once missing an entire week of school smirk However, I can't say that these incidents preceded this behavior in a way that was at all clear or noticeable. But so much of it has been entirely internal.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM