Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 395 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    E
    E
    Originally Posted by EmmaL
    I still need bright colored (no pastels) post its by the front door for my reminders and I need bright highlighters to assist. Ridiculous post its, such as water, phone, earbuds, keys, purse and sunglasses. I beat myself over why I can't remember mundane stuff. I really need to absorb that I overload on too much mundane info. Learning about my 2e DS has really help my own self-worth and CBT skills, but I still have a long way to go. I also make an assigned place for stuff. If I need to run to the bathroom when I enter, I must return to the front door when I finish and not get distracted. Otherwise, I can't find my keys in the morning.
    I use post-its on the front door, too, and can never find my keys!

The most embarrassing incident was the time I walked into a restaurant, paid for my carry-out order, and left without the food.

At least it does help me understand my poor absent-minded-professor DS.
    Originally Posted by Nautigal
    Fortunately for them, I'm no good at remembering things, either, so I do understand. I remember vividly my days of standing by my locker at the end of the day, mentally going over each class to see which books I needed to take home, and making sure I had my coat, and my boots, etc. I had to do that checklist or it was hopeless.
    I'm impressed you remembered to go to your locker! smile

When DS was in elementary, I used to place bets on how long the lunchbox would last. We usually switched to brown bags about a month or so into the year.

Also, a regular part of the routine was searching the school's lost and found box for his outerwear.

There are so many things they have to remember! I recall trying to explain to my parents they shouldn't be angry with me for forgetting things--because when you forget, you just...forget. It's a hard thing to convey to people without these issues. Kind of like trying to prove a negative.

The checklist sounds like a great idea. I hope the new teacher is receptive and will help your DS remember to use it!

M
    mom2one Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    am admittedly a touchy-feely type, but I agree with your DS! He should not be blamed, but supported. I hate that these things are always framed as "responsibility" instead of "organizational skills." No wonder sensitive kids get down on themselves--when they make mistakes, it's addressed with characterological language instead of skill-based.

I think it's amazingly insightful that he *told* you he is sensitive and shouldn't be blamed for forgetting his "stuff". I think even for non-sensitive children, if the challenge is potentially related to a disability, it's really important to structure your thoughts and the conversations with your ds and the things you do for support from a framework of helping him learn a skill, not viewing it and responding to it as something he's forgetting to do. I hope that makes sense!

Yes, I absolutely agree with you, polarbear and eco. I try not to sound like I am blaming him, but he goes to the after-care program after school, and sometimes, the after-care staff blames him. So, all in all, he thinks it is very hard to remember everything and bring it back (even though it is a maximum of 4 things).

I talked to him at length today, and he has told me that he prefers having a check-list that a grown-up (the teacher) can go over with him, rather than just being told to pack up. He also told me that he wishes he could do it without the teacher's help, but right now, he cannot.

Six to seven times a month sounds like heaven to me! Both of my kiddos have been horrendous at remembering things. I have to keep reminding DS, who doesn't go to the brick-and-mortar school anymore, that he was, indeed, as bad as his sister is at remembering to bring things home -- because he's always teasing her about it, and he's the pot calling the kettle black.

I may have exaggerated the six or seven times. It is probably like ten times. I've started a log, so I can remember and track it. I remember everything I need, everything I would need, everything I needed in the past, you get the picture -- I think I have exceptional EF skills. So, in a way, it is hard for me to deal with this level of forgetfulness.

I have sent an email to the teacher requesting that the checklist be implemented.

mom2one, 3rd graders are still learning EF/organizational skills, so there are going to be some kids for whom 6-7 times a month is totally normal. OTOH, I would think that for your ds (based on his past testing that you've posted about and diagnoses), that it's quite probable his organizational challenges are related to his other challenges.

I think this is the case. He's very, very good at certain things, but really does not seem to care too much about clothes/shoes being untied or backpacks/lunchbags or whatever. I am seriously worried about the increasing expectations for EF skills as he grows older. He really needs a checklist, and someone to walk him through the list every single day. He's still not independent with the checklist (I've asked him many times, but he says he's too busy thinking about other things (and not so much about the checklist).

M
    mom2one Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Originally Posted by puffin
    Ds8 owns four polar fleeces. Several times he has gone to school on friday with instructions to find one of the ones he has lost when he gets there and put it on. He hardly ever remembers to hand in his homework on Friday but luckily his teacher accepts it on Monday instead though it doesn't matter much really as he learnt while doing it not by giving it to the teacher.

This worries me too. I keep telling him he needs to do whatever the teacher asks of him, in terms of school-work, handing over home-work etc, but it is definitely a work in progress.

B
    BSM Offline
    B
    This pushing of responsibility at such an early age bugs me. Sure, some kids can do it, but in other people EF brain connections don't fully mature until they are 30 or so.

As long as the teachers are flexible about these things, that's fine, but our school started grading the kids' assignment notebooks in 4th grade, which was way too early.

E
    E
    Originally Posted by BSM
    This pushing of responsibility at such an early age bugs me. Sure, some kids can do it, but in other people EF brain connections don't fully mature until they are 30 or so.
    And for some of us...not even then. smile

Originally Posted by BSM
    As long as the teachers are flexible about these things, that's fine, but our school started grading the kids' assignment notebooks in 4th grade, which was way too early.
    I think it's okay as long as it's viewed as a skill, and kids with deficits are given direct, specific, one-on-one instruction the same way a child with a reading problem should be helped, for instance.

"Responsibility" isn't the right word. Challenged is better, I think. Not that kids don't need to learn to manage their challenges, but the frame is important so they don't internalize and feel like they are Bad (Irresponsible) Kids.

Originally Posted by eco21268
    [quote=EmmaL]
    The most embarrassing incident was the time I walked into a restaurant, paid for my carry-out order, and left without the food.

At least it does help me understand my poor absent-minded-professor DS.[quote=Nautigal]

There is a running joke in our family about me and restaurant leftovers. I get them packed to go. Then we make a joke that I'll probably forget them. And then I forget them. Sometimes not 10 minutes later, with them sitting on the table in a bag! It happens all the time.

So how could I scold my DS7 for being "irresponsible" when he forgets something. I can hopefully teach him to stop and check for the priority things. But honestly, it drives me batty that people pile guilt upon the trait of forgetfulness. It's like nuns whacking children for writing left-handed.

E
    E
    Originally Posted by suevv
    There is a running joke in our family about me and restaurant leftovers. I get them packed to go. Then we make a joke that I'll probably forget them. And then I forget them. Sometimes not 10 minutes later, with them sitting on the table in a bag! It happens all the time.
    It's SO depressing when you think you have a midnight snack and realize it's still at the restaurant...

Originally Posted by suevv
    It's like nuns whacking children for writing left-handed.
    This made me LOL. Nice analogy, suevv. smile

most embarrassing incident was the time I walked into a restaurant, paid for my carry-out order, and left without the food.

You are not alone I have done worse LOL

I once used a MAC machine took the receipt but left the cash there.

Become what you are
    N
    N
    At my grocery store, you go through the checkout, they bag your groceries, and they wheel them to the curb to wait for you, and they will load them into the trunk for you. If, that is, you remember to swing by and get them instead of blithely hopping in your car and driving home, leaving a gallon of ice cream to melt in the cart. More than twice.

I put post-it notes in my son's lunch to remind him when he needs to see a teacher at lunch, and on his books or folders to remind him to turn in homework, but if it's a day he doesn't have lunch or he doesn't use the book or folder during class, he's doomed.

M
    mom2one Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Just a quick update -- I think my child is definitely not bringing everything he should be. So, the 7 times was an understatement. He also did not complete his work, and received a very low grade. He has accommodations for work completion as well, but the 504 does not seem to be followed in reality. It is almost as though I have to stay on top of things to make sure that the 504 is followed. Is this the norm ?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM