Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 338 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by eco21268
    Can he make himself stop if he *has* to stop? In school, for instance, would he be able to respond to a teacher's asking him to sit down and be quiet?
    Yes.

ETA: Usually, though, he cannot, on his own initiative, stop... Someone has to say, "Uh, DS! sit down please." We used to say "Uh, pause it, DS, you need to pause it and go back to the story later because now you need to get your shoes on..." A hand on the shoulder, a squeeze, etc. pulls him out, too... Anything like that. However, he is frustrated he can't, himself, see he is having a 'creative shock' and be like 'uh not a good time for this right now, must stop' to himself.

Last edited by Irena; 09/15/15 12:43 PM.
    E
    E
    I wanted to add a little seizure 101. There are two main types of seizures: generalized or partial. These can be further broken down into other categories, but that explanation will do.

Your DS is not having generalized seizures if he remains conscious throughout the event. Even in absence (formerly called petit mal) seizures, there is a loss of consciousness, even if it is very brief.

Partial seizures are a little more complicated, but essentially they are either simple partial (in which all consciousness remains) or complex partial (in which consciousness is altered but still present).

So to further reduce: since he is fully conscious throughout, *if* this were a seizure type, it would be "simple partial." This type of seizure is not associated with creativity and/or unusual thought patterns. Usually involves involuntary motor activity or in rarer cases, strange sensory perceptions.

One of my kids has a seizure disorder and seizures are scary to think about, so I am hoping to provide the reassurance you were after. smile

Psychotic disorders are very rare in a child this age and there would be other odd things going on as well--beyond LDs or attention issues.

I hope that helps you feel better!

Last edited by eco21268; 09/15/15 10:04 AM.
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by Pemberley
    Irena I think I may have shared this with you a few years ago. DH is an artist/art professor. He doesn't have much time for his own work now but in the past (before DD was born) living with him could get quite interesting. He would get into what I referred to as "the zone". He would go into his studio for days at a time. He didn't sleep, he mindlessly ate if I brought him simple food but I don't think he even noticed he was chewing or swallowing. He emerged only occasionally to wash brushes or other tools. If I spoke to him during these times he wasn't even really talking to me he remained fixated on the piece(s) he was creating. Without question his best work came out of these periods.

DH doesn't have epilepsy, psychiatric disorders or any known pathology. He functions as "a regular guy" - he doesn't even appear eccentric enough to be taken for an art professor. I think he is likely a 2E adult who found a way to use his intellect despite unremediated LD's. (After DD's diagnoses came to light his parents told him they had been approached repeatedly by the spec Ed teacher about getting him help for his apparent dyslexia but they declined. Growing up with 2 brothers who were class valedictorians while he struggled made him feel "stupid" and so he turned to more creative means of expression.)

DD had imaginary friends when she was little and also had running dialogues. I would frequently listen to be sure I heard her doing both sides of a conversation rather than engaging in conversation with a voice in her head. I always breathed a sigh of relief when I assured myself she wasn't hearing voices. At 10 1/2 she still has a very vivid imagination but has also on occasion said to me "Mom you DO realize they're not real - right?"

I can't even guess what is going on with your DS but I do know you have worked tirelessly to address his 2E issues. He, and you, would probably feel better if you get this checked out. Did this come up during neuropsych evals? If so was there a recommendation? I'm guessing getting it checked by a neurologist would make him feel better about it.

Thanks Pemeberley, Yes you have mentioned you DH before and I had forgotten... Thank you.. it is reassuring smile He is just annoyed he can't control it better. He likes the creativity, he likes the stories, etc. He does not like that he can end up looking a little weird muttering to himself without realizing it. ...

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    It's not a delusion (he would not recognize it as problematic) and is unlikely to be a hallucination, IMO.

It's actually pretty difficult to get a seizure disorder dx--so that part wouldn't concern me, in terms of the neurologist.

It does sound like it's related to EF--in that he has trouble switching gears, once it's begun. Still, wouldn't worry about needing to medicate unless it is interfering with his functioning.

Ahh now this is why I posted here... I knew someone would say something and it'd be a lightbulb. THIS: "It does sound like it's related to EF--in that he has trouble switching gears, once it's begun" that speaks to me ... it fits... I think you are on to something with that... It is also says to me he will with maturity and determination find a way to control it better... or maybe he will try adhd meds to some degree eventually...

Last edited by Irena; 09/15/15 10:18 AM.
    B
    B
    I would ask him if this bothers him enough to talk to a doctor about it, and let him decide. If it's not a big concern for him and doesn't interfere with his functioning, then I wouldn't worry about it. I just wanted to put my two cents in that it doesn't seem normal to me, and it doesn't sound like ADHD (since you asked...)

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by blackcat
    I would ask him if this bothers him enough to talk to a doctor about it, and let him decide. If it's not a big concern for him and doesn't interfere with his functioning, then I wouldn't worry about it. I just wanted to put my two cents in that it doesn't seem normal to me, and it doesn't sound like ADHD (since you asked...)

I will. This is a good idea. He's entering an age where he does not want to look weird so that's the biggest "issue" at the moment. He's got his "cool" sneakers. He redid his wardrobe ... He's playing hockey and any other sport he has a hope of being decent in... he's concerned with looking "normal" and at least passably "cool." Having "creative shocks" is not fitting in with that. He is fine with them in private... Not so much in school because then his friends would see him and think him weird. The good thing about this is that if he can find a way to control it, he will... he's motivated now socially. If not, he may indeed want to seek some kind of treatment. We'll see. he's definitely frustrated... Hence his speech last night that creativity is suppose to be a great gift but, really, to the creative person it can be such a burden, too.

Last edited by Irena; 09/15/15 10:47 AM.
    C
    clb Offline
    C
    As long as your son is very clear what is imagined, and what is real, I would file these episodes under creativity. I'm a professional writer of fiction and nonfiction and can confirm that I also do this, just on a smaller scale. I've done it my whole life and never gave it a second thought until I read your post. I can feel the energy of the story that I'm imagining enough to have to get up and walk around. I don't have the conversations out loud, but I do sometimes have the facial expressions and gestures that go with the dialogue. I don't do it in public, but every now and then, my husband catches me and says, "Everything ok?" LOL. I honestly thought everyone did this in some form. But now that you mention it as a "writer thing," that makes sense. To be effective, writers have to imagine a scene so completely that they can transport readers there. This is just one path to doing that.

Seems like what is really important is your son being able to turn it on and off as he desires, which would relate to impulse control and executive functioning. I hope he can keep it in some form as he matures. It is a powerful tool that can be applied not just to storytelling, but to other careers as well.

E
    E
    I posted this another time, somewhere. It gives a good explanation of different executive functions:

http://files.campus.edublogs.org/bl.../List-of-Executive-Functions-169lmt8.pdf

My lay analysis would be it sounds like it's an issue with "Shifting." I don't think that's uncommon, or particularly alarming. Like Pemberly explained--I think a lot of creative people go into a zone sometimes. Csikszentmihalyi would call it FLOW.

It might help to identify this for your DS and see if he can think of some strategies to help--there may be a bit of Metacognition at play, too. If he can begin to identify what triggers the "creative shocks" he might have more success stopping them from progressing when they are inconvenient. It could just be something simple like "close your eyes and shake your head" or "get a drink of water," etc. Or say to himself "time and place" or something coping related like that.

I relate to him (minus the creative piece), being the world's worst multi-tasker. It's uncomfortable to get lost in thought when you're not supposed to be.

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Thank you. Yes, impulse control speaks to me as well... Eventually, it seems to me kids develop the ability to make quiet their inner dialog and to control the impulse to say what pops in their head (is this a chemical? a physical maturation?) ... This does seem related to that. He's having trouble controlling the impulse to imagine and keeping what should be inner dialog in his head. As well as the EF issue of being able to shift. Obviously if he were not so imaginative it wouldn't be as big of a problem... which is where the creativity is contributing to the problem as well.

Well, at least I am reassured at this point he is not psychotic and probably not having seizures smile

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    I posted this another time, somewhere. It gives a good explanation of different executive functions:

http://files.campus.edublogs.org/bl.../List-of-Executive-Functions-169lmt8.pdf

My lay analysis would be it sounds like it's an issue with "Shifting." I don't think that's uncommon, or particularly alarming. Like Pemberly explained--I think a lot of creative people go into a zone sometimes. Csikszentmihalyi would call it FLOW.

It might help to identify this for your DS and see if he can think of some strategies to help--there may be a bit of Metacognition at play, too. If he can begin to identify what triggers the "creative shocks" he might have more success stopping them from progressing when they are inconvenient. It could just be something simple like "close your eyes and shake your head" or "get a drink of water," etc. Or say to himself "time and place" or something coping related like that.

I relate to him (minus the creative piece), being the world's worst multi-tasker. It's uncomfortable to get lost in thought when you're not supposed to be.

This is great, thank you. I will chat with him about all of this... I do think he'll feel better if he has a plan for getting a handle on it.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by spaghetti - 05/14/24 08:14 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM