Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 125 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    The teacher I was complaining about after the first day of school looks like she may be a great fit for DS. The one who I was complaining was going to require Cornell notes taken in class & the school planner being checked weekly. She backed off on requiring Cornell notes, told the kids the second day that was for another class.

She is a brand new teacher at our school so I was a bit worried because she was an unknown. But she talked with DS about his 504, and clearly READ it. And has given me detailed feedback on the parent portal about classwork that wasn't turned in explaining that she would give DS more time if he needed it.

The big problem is going to be getting DS to take advantage of this. He is 16 and he wants to do everything BY HIMSELF without any help from me and wants me to BACK OFF. It's clear he wants to show to himself that he can take this class without needing accommodation. While I admire that I'm not convinced it's going to work. But I'd a relief that it seems I have the teacher in my corner.

E
    E
    This is heartwarming to read. We are having a similar experience with one of DS' teachers who is brand new--sometimes, that might be a bonus! At least they aren't cynical and burned-out.

I'm so glad your DS has someone in his corner. smile

D
    D
    Originally Posted by eco21268
    This is heartwarming to read. We are having a similar experience with one of DS' teachers who is brand new--sometimes, that might be a bonus! At least they aren't cynical and burned-out.

Right. And as they don't know what's "normal" yet (ahem), often they can be tremendous allies for the outlier children.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    After I posted this had a detailed email communication with the teacher. She has since updated the grades on the online portal and the comments. It's looking like she "gets" what is going on with DS and seems OK with re-framing the question/instructions and giving him extra time to complete assignments he is stuck on. Crossing my fingers that she will end up being a good teacher for my son. English is the class he struggles with the most because it's so imprecise. We will see when he has to write his first essay.

Back to school night this week so I may get to meet her face to face.

E
    E
    Originally Posted by bluemagic
    It's looking like she "gets" what is going on with DS and seems OK with re-framing the question/instructions and giving him extra time to complete assignments he is stuck on.

How did you present the "re-framing" advice?

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs