Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 286 guests, and 28 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #221177 08/22/15 02:37 PM
    L
    longcut Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    In our recent eval, the tester wrote that DD7 is PG in math, and I am curious about these WIAT III scores. When I dig around online, there's a variety of ranges for PG vs HG. We're heading into a meeting soon and I want to have a better understanding of how to advocate. [edited to remove scores]

As an achievement test, how well does the WIAT describe math ability at the first grade level?

Her other scores were generally high, but affected by careful and slow handwriting and average PSI. I strongly suspect they won't go for a grade skip (going to be a challenge regardless), but her math frustration last year is still not out of her mind, summer break did not help soften that.

Last edited by longcut; 09/25/15 09:27 PM. Reason: removing scores
    longcut #221190 08/22/15 06:43 PM
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    The WIAT is no better and no worse at capturing math ability in a first grader than most of the other common comprehensive achievement measures (WJ, KTEA, PIAT); it is a solid instrument. For a first grader to score 146, she would need to know basic arithmetic operations, and multi-digit addition/subtraction, and be able to apply slightly easier skills.

Oral language includes several vocabulary or vocabulary-related measures. Listening comp has two components: a vocabulary task where she is orally-presented with a single word, and must select the picture which best represents its meaning from a field of four; and a listening task where a series of brief recordings is played (beginning with short sentences, and potentially progressing to lengthy paragraphs), each followed by one or more comprehension questions. Those with a good vocabulary tend to do well on the first component, and those with good attention and listening memory on the second. Oral Expression includes two components with heavy vocabulary skill-loading. One is a picture naming task, with brief verbal clues, and the other is a retrieval fluency task, where she names as many words in a specified category as she can in one minute. The last OE task is sentence repetition, which, again, is to the advantage of a child with strong working memory.

Without referencing her actual cognitive scores, her achievement profile suggests that she might be strong in working memory, as the academic strengths are closely-related to WM (mathematics, and several aspects of OL as assessed on the WIAT).

As to the PG-ness of her mathematics: 146 does meet the DYS criteria, so I think it's safe to say she's scoring PG in mathematics!

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    longcut #221204 08/23/15 09:31 PM
    L
    longcut Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Thanks, aeh. :-) I am going in more confident with what we need!

I just wasn't sure, since the math testing at her grade wouldn't include higher level arithmetic. Is it just that an average child wouldn't do well at these things at her age, even if exposed to them, developmentally, and she's presumed to grasp things that much more easily?

(PS. I erred above that FSI should be FRI.)

longcut #221210 08/24/15 03:55 AM
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    That is the presumption. Now, it's possible that her future math achievement scores will slip slightly, both because the expectations are so low for this age, and because of regression to the mean, but I would think they would continue to be quite high, especially since she scored equally well on calculations and reasoning, suggesting that it's not merely a fluke of low expectations.

And of the five WISC-V primary factors, FRI would be the best predictor of math achievement (followed, most likely, by WMI).

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    longcut #221215 08/24/15 07:29 AM
    L
    longcut Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Okay, that's what I was wondering -- the high FRI goes along with the WIAT results. Much gratitude for helping me understand, aeh!

Last edited by longcut; 09/25/15 09:28 PM. Reason: remove scores

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM