Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 208 guests, and 7 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    greenlotus #221128 08/21/15 09:04 AM
    B
    B
    So if I understand correctly, right now there is nothing in the 504 about late work and you want it added? It seems like them accepting late work should be a pretty standard accommodation for ADHD, or there should at least be something in the 504 that PREVENTS the late work from happening in the first place (like a teacher checks in with her at the start of each class, or end of each class, etc).

I think there is some controversy about accommodations for ADHD such as allowing late work--it can teach the person to be a procrastinator, for instance. So I honestly don't know if I'd want that in a 504 for DD. I would want to focus on modifications to improve organizational ability and supports at the school (such as teachers checking in with child and parent in a way that they don't with "typical" kids).

I do think that they should accept emailed copies of work (for instance if she forgets to bring it to school, it could be emailed as soon as she gets home). That way she's not being penalized for late work when she actually DID do the work on time.

I do think this "wait to fail" approach before adding modifications (when you saw issues last year) is kind of ridiculous. Basically it's their way of saying that they want the new teachers/school to have a say in what they need to do.

greenlotus #221129 08/21/15 09:08 AM
    P
    P
    Another thought -

I emailed the 6th grade counselor, and she emailed back "6th grade teachers must learn how the disability manifests in the school setting to be sure that there is something that must be reasonably accommodated. Doctor recommendations are appreciated, and would be considered by the team, but not passed into effect unless truly warranted."

You asked the counselor - is the counselor the school's 504 coordinator? If not, I'd consider sending another email to *both* - address the email to the 504 coordinator and cc the 6th grade counselor. Make it brief - state your reason for wanting to update the 504, state the additional accommodation you are requesting, provide a quote from any eval you have which backs up the need for the change, and also provide an example of what happens re anxiety occurs over this.

You might also want to contact a local advocate before you send the email to find out if there's really any way around the 2 week wait in your district, and to get advice on what specifically to request in the updates to the accommodations. FWIW we were in a similar situation last year and when I consulted a lawyer from our state's disabilities legal assistance group, I was told that waiting 2 weeks so that teachers could get to see how the student was impacted in the new year's school setting was legal. I am most likely not stating it correctly (I'm soooo not a lawyer lol!)... but I was told that 504s are "living" documents which will change as situations change. The "wait" was appropriate in that it was a new school year, new teachers, new classroom etc and it was a valid concern on the part of the school to see what the needs for accommodation were in the new environment. This isn't, however, the same thing as saying there isn't a disability and FAPE doesn't have to be provided - my ds was given the same accommodations during that time period that he had been given in his previous school. The team just needed the time to have some "data" re how he was impacted in the new school environment. The things that were obviously required for ds (for instance, he has to use keyboarding to write) he was allowed to do - because he had used them previously and had clear documentation stating that he needed them. Updates/changes/tweaks/new requests needed to wait until everyone (including ds) had a chance to see how the new environment played out.

I also, quite honestly, suspect that part of the issue at the beginning of the school year is that there are a *lot* of 504 meetings going on (in our school district) - because that's the time of year the existing 504 plans are reviewed as well as new students coming in needing new plans.

polarbear

greenlotus #221130 08/21/15 09:22 AM
    B
    B
    Don't have a lot of time today so I'll try to keep this short.

My experience is that it is normal to wait a few weeks to get a 504 review.

Try to let her do as much on her own these first few weeks so the teachers can see what her level of ability. Document her struggles. My one exception to this is try to manage her anxiety around the situation. Talk with your DD and explain what you are doing.

Email/Communicate directly with her teachers to remind them she has a 504 and what accommodations are currently in place, and how you plan to manage the first weeks until the 504 meeting happens.

Check back with the counselor about the one accommodation my kids both got that can't be adjusted very easily later. That is getting preferential teacher picks. This can't always be managed perfectly but I bet the counselor will know what teachers would be more accommodating.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM