Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 387 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #220952 08/18/15 02:32 PM
    A
    apm221 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    I'm trying to figure out what is going on with my son and would appreciate any advice and assistance.

My son was grade-skipped into 2nd grade last year and took the Iowa assessment in the spring. I'm assuming the percentile ranks I've been given are for second graders and am wondering if there is a way to find out how he compared to others his age (rather than by grade). I'm also puzzled as all of his scores seem high (e.g., 95th NPR for math), but he is listed as title 1 (they won't test him for GT).

Can anyone help me figure out interpretation? I need to figure out whether to appeal for GT but am surprised they seem to be listing him as remedial.

C
    C
    Title 1 isn't remedial here...title 1is based on income. If a school has a very high free and reduced lunch percentage the entire school is title 1....which is the case at my children's schools. So the whole school gets extra money and extra support teachers and so on. So if your kid is identified title 1 it is probably the school's overall SES.

In fact, our schools also applied for some programs and every kid in the entire district gets free breakfast no matter what. And some of our schools every kid gets free lunch no Matter what (but not all of them).

A
    apm221 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    That makes sense. They had previously mistakenly listed him as RTI and my daughter's report doesn't show title 1, so I thought this could be related. However, it is definitely a title 1 school so that would explain it. I wouldn't have expected it on the individual student report, but can see why it might be there.

I've been frustrated with them because they skipped over testing him for GT (they just skipped doing it) and he has a disability, so it is hard to get people to acknowledge his strengths. They simply skipped over part of the testing for his school disability evaluation and put in the report that he couldn't do it (the reality was that they weren't sure if he could have his usual writing assistance for his fine motor difficulties and just skipped that part). So I have become hypervigilant.

Last edited by apm221; 08/18/15 04:51 PM.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent