Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 110 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    Hi,

I find that I have to bring my DS4 for IQ test/assessment in order to find a suitable sch / apply for sch for the gifted for him. Any advice for a math-talented 4 yrs old who's mother language is not English?
    I think he can understand simple english only. He can read some words /simple sentences.

Thanks!

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Cynthia, you will probably have to use whatever test the school approves, which probably means either the WPPSI-IV or the SBV. Both of them have verbally-laden aspects to them.

The SBV has the advantage of a specifically math-related cluster (Quantitative Reasoning), but it doesn't have a good language-reduced global measure, as even the Nonverbal IQ expects children to have some understanding of English.

The WPPSI does not have the QRI, but it does have a Nonverbal Index, which is probably a better measure for a Limited English Proficient child. This includes subtests from Visual Spatial, Fluid Reasoning (some overlap with mathematical reasoning), visual Working Memory, and Processing Speed.

If they will accept a different test, the DAS-II also has a Special Nonverbal Composite, which includes only the subtests in the Nonverbal Reasoning (similar to Fluid Reasoning from the other two tests) and the Spatial Composites. This is also a shorter test, for most children, which may be helpful with a little one. Because the Early Years battery has norms to 8-11, some also feel that it may have a better ceiling than the WPPSI-IV, which has norms only to age 7-11. This test was developed with possible administration to non-English speakers in mind, so I've found it (the SNC portion) to be more suited to administering in translation, or with gestural directions, than some other instruments.

The KABC-II is another option that was developed with administration in translation or nonverbal-only in mind. It has a Nonverbal Index, and also allows credit for verbal answers in other languages. (You would need a bilingual examiner in your home language for this.) Many examiners find it to be a preferred measure with culturally/linguistically diverse students. It does have a preschool form that includes age four, which most examiners find to be fairly engaging with little ones.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    P
    P
    Mine did the WJiii cognitive because that is what the tester used as it was the official test for the NZ one day school programme which is about the only thing available. I think it is good for maths.

P
    P
    It may not be accepted, but I would at least check to see if they would entertain a truly nonverbal IQ, such as the Leiter-3. That is the measure of choice that I give in my assessments when the child is not proficient in English. The DAS, WPPSI, and SB's nonverbal indexes will still put your child at a disadvantage as they still rely on some language (receptive).
    The Leiter is entirely visual-spatial and again, nonverbal (receptive and expressive). I'd caution that it might not be sufficient for your needs, but I know that it is becoming more commonly given in the school districts in my area when language is a concern (bilingual with other language dominance, language disorder, etc)

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent