Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 130 guests, and 100 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    R
    rac Offline
    R
    I have a kid who will start first even though he is a few days beyond age cutoff - in a private school that requires testing (but cutoff is well below gifted - and I suspect he tested far above most kids there). We didn't send him to K. In many ways he is ready for 2nd grade material and beyond (he learns without being taught, really; could easily start 3rd grade math). The grade guidelines here are really frighteningly low. We did find one school willing to consider 2nd grade placement. The one academic concern that gave me hesitation is that perhaps he is not writing fast/well enough; and his spelling is still awful (this may have to do with him reading and writing in 3 languages). How does your son compare to rising second graders in those dimensions?
    Overall I think skipping 2nd is likely much easier than skipping 1st (the half day to full day will be a big adjustment!), but as others have said, it may never happen. Another thought: How is your district? Lots of redskirting? Highly educated population? If you can answer yes to those questions, your son may be just fine in 1st- as there will be plenty of kids in your son's IQ range (I think the SB tests a bit high).

Last edited by rac; 07/08/15 08:44 PM.
    N
    OP Offline
    N
    The district does well for a public school. They make sure everyone knows that they "lead the state in academic achievement, ranking No. 1 for the fifth consecutive year." I think that claim has to do with standardized tests. The schools my kids are in are in the more highly educated areas. Not all schools in the district are in those areas.

I don't know about redshirting. I think people stick to the July 31 birthday deadline, except for one or two summer birthdays where they held them back a year, but with a grade size of over 100 kids, that's not too many people. My DD10 also has an August birthday, but we skipped pre-K and sent her to a private school a year early. She'll be going to 6th grade this year, and it has been great for her. She was always in the top groups of her class. With spelling, reading and writing she was still further ahead than what they were teaching.)

As far as writing and spelling.... I have no idea if his writing is up to par. I don't know what 1st and 2nd grade handwriting looks like at our school. For spelling, our school uses Words their Way, and I gave him the assessment the other day as I was evaluating him before talking to the school. It looks like he would need to start on Middle Within Word Patterns on the long vowels. Looks like typical end of year spelling goals are Early Within Word patterns for end of 1st grade and Late Within Word patterns for end of 2nd grade.

Thanks for bringing up these points! I did email the principal to see if they have and can use the IAS for him.

p.s. Thanks, Indigo, for the links!

Last edited by nicoleken; 07/09/15 05:18 AM. Reason: Details about my daughter.
    N
    OP Offline
    N
    Just a quick update... The head of the gifted program has started working on the IAS for my son. He is contacting DS7's old teacher for input, is planning on calling me for more input, and will be scheduling a time for my son to take the Terra Nova. The gifted director said he is all for skipping if it is right for the child. I'm so glad they are willing to take the time to do this.

I
    I
    working on the IAS for my son
    Thank you for sharing this good news.

If the results of the IAS do not recommend whole-grade acceleration at this time, possibly the results may be utilized to advocate for other advanced curricular opportunities:

- Some schools may use the IAS to prepare a complete record of a student's scores and "thoroughly discuss the case and to consider other curricular options and recommendations for the student." (Manual page 34)
    For example, single-subject acceleration.

- A student performing above the 50th percentile on above-level material may be ready for "more challenging material".(Manual page 120)

- Consideration is given to the student being successful under the expectations of the new environment and also being successful in the long term. (Manual page 5)

Page numbers were provided above so that interested parties may locate and read the selected statements in context.

N
    OP Offline
    N
    Update... My son got a 76/80 on the IAS so he's skipping to 2nd grade!

I
    I
    A score of 76/80 indicates that he'd be a good candidate, so with that in mind it is good to hear that your school is supportive. smile Has everyone signed off?

Please be aware of threads about possible downside or trade-offs to grade skipping. This is not to dissuade you or cause you to second-guess the decision, but to remain prepared for the differences this may make in your child's journey.

N
    OP Offline
    N
    It's a done deal. He has already been assigned a second grade teacher. I'll check out the link for sure. Thanks.

With his age, size, personality and great scores on the achievement tests (both at and above level), I'm not worried one bit. Apparently this was good timing because we have a new principal this year. I inferred that he would not have been allowed to get to the IAS evaluation last year.

P.s. My DD11 is entering middle school. We sent her to Kindergarten early so she is in the same boat, age-wise, as he, and we've had no problems. We talk openly about puberty and other such topics so she gets that some will be ahead of her. I was the youngest in my grade as well so I'm aware of the issues they will face.... Hence the open conversations! smile. Thanks for you help!!

Last edited by nicoleken; 08/13/15 06:11 PM.
    I
    I
    Excellent. Thanks for sharing your good news. smile

When you read the posts on future considerations after acceleration you may notice that issues which may be a large hurdle for some may be a mere speed bump for others. It helps that you have experience with being young for grade level.

C
    C
    Great news! I am so glad that the school took an objective look at your son and came to a reasonable conclusion!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM