Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 289 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    A
    alicat Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    My son recently turned 1 and just looking for ideas to help keep him stimulated. He has a strong need for stimulation and is probably getting frustrated that he cannot communicate his needs yet. His sister (who is borderline DYS) had similar needs, but she is quite a bit older now and I conveniently forgot how needy she was:) Most likely he is bright, but it is way to early to worry about that right now.

Could you just remind me of some good activities or toys (or books) to do with him at this age? I need some fresh ideas:)

For reference, he is at the point where he wants me to carry him (even though he has been walking for months) and name everything in the house, garden, etc. He would do it for hours if I had time.

C
    C
    Magnatiles! Duplo blocks (the big ones, I think that is what they are called). Have you tried teaching him some sign language? We had really good luck with our boys with it -- it helped because they could at least communicate 15-20 needs or wants.

And, patience. I'm not sure where one gets it but I think it helps. ;-)

I
    I
    Originally Posted by alicat
    he is at the point where he wants me to carry him (even though he has been walking for months) and name everything in the house, garden, etc. He would do it for hours if I had time.
    Conventional wisdom is that the best stimulation is child-led, therefore naming things around the house and garden which he is interested in sounds ideal.

You may wish to make a deal with him that you can keep naming things for him IF he walks alongside you so that your hands are free to do the work you set out to do. Often if a parent/caregiver talks about the work they are doing, a child may be fascinated. If you pull out a weed you can talk about its colors, its roots, how it is not good to eat, how removing it allows more nutrients and water and space for the other plants, etc. If you are digging in the garden and give him toy tools, he may have some fun emulating you. Kids learn a lot from watching role models.

A
    alicat Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Thanks....I think I just need to be reminded to have patience with him. The sign language is a good idea. I started it but did not push it. We do stack a lot with blocks..we have those large cardboard ones. I finally took the lid off the sandbox last night and he had a load of fun, but had sand everywhere..

Indigo...I think you are right, I need to find ways of incorporating him into my activities (and talking to him at the same time).

Mainly I just need reminding that this is a hard age and I need to have patience. ..and based on experience with my daughter, I try not to talk about their latest milestones with mothers that have kids similarly aged as I get blank stares like you child is doing what?

G
    G
    Originally Posted by alicat
    The sign language is a good idea. I started it but did not push it.
    It's worth doing, even if you don't get signs back. We signed at our DS for months and months and didn't get signs back for what seemed like ages, especially when other parents we knew were getting signs back from their kid at 6 (or even 3) months!

And then, around 14 months, he started signing like crazy. I've since learned that he is the type of kid that will watch and absorb for a long while, and then when ready, delve in and do it like he'd been doing it all along. (He just did this with reading... went from about K-level to 4th-grade level in 3 months.)

My favorite part about him signing was learning very specifically what he was thinking about. We almost never got the "needs" signs (hungry, wet, hurt) and nearly always got identification signs (bird, dog, cat, book). He would wake up in the morning and, first thing, sign "book" (as in, "Read me a book"). Some months later, he would pull my leg by signing things that weren't there. For instance, he'd sign "dog" and point, getting me to look, and then when I'd realize there was nothing there, he'd get this wry smile on his face! Talk about an advanced sense of humor... smile

Last edited by George C; 08/10/15 12:47 PM.
    A
    A
    Back when our dd was 1 yo, one of her favorite things was an alphabet book. It was a large format book, published by DK. Each letter had its own page with lots of good sized photos along with the name of each object.

She was a tiny toddler, and it was comical to see her wobbling toward someone with that giant book. One of her first words was "readabook" and she said it when she was bringing you a book to read to her - often the DK word book.

A
    alicat Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Thanks all! I started last night to do more signing with him and hopefully that will help facilitate communication. I did not push it as much as I did with his sister because he is the second (I have less time) and he started to "try" to speak much earlier. I swear he would try to say milk around 5/6 months...he currently tries to say a lot, but his mouth just doesn't work like he wants it to.

He is also appearing to catch on to things very quickly and I imagine that I am in for a bit of a ride this coming year. For example, Daddy wasn't home yet and the little one said daddy bye bye and made me go to the garage to see the cars. When he did not see Daddy's car, he expressed his disappointment by crying / whimpering.

I also just need to spend more one on one time before he has his meltdowns...it is just such a challenge with working, trying to get everyone fed at night and balancing the needs of his older sister and her continued need for intellectual stimulation.

Last edited by alicat; 08/11/15 06:57 AM.
    C
    C
    We found having a baby sitter once a week or so(she was really good - she was at least MG and great with kids) was very helpful. We would not go out or anything - we would still be at home - but it was nice to have 2 hours or so where we could disengage from DS and catch up on chores and recharge (knowing he would have a good time and be stimulated. I think he had more fun with the sitter than with us ...).

A
    alicat Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    That is a great idea with the sitter...I know the gifted teacher at the local school and bet she could recommend someone

C
    C
    Cooking dinner was a nightmare when DS was that age. It didn't help that we were both working at that time and after a day at daycare DS wanted even more attention. It was also getting close to bedtime so he was extra clingy.

Our solution was to have DS involved. It was often messy and sometimes made for some interesting meals when he added extra things in but it was the only way I could get something done. I would give him things to cut up (butter knife), mix, measure, etc. Early on he was in his high chair which I would roll over to be right beside me. A little over a year he would stand on a tall stool at the counter beside me. He quickly graduated to using real knives and is actually a pretty decent cook now.

One of my favorite memories was him tasting things when I wasn't looking - I can still picture his face after he bit into an onion like it was an apple. He would also eat garlic by the clove and go back for more if I wasn't watching.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs