Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 115 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    My DS8 loves to read reference books and encyclopedia-type books. I have read reviews of both the Kingfisher and Usborne books, and I'm trying to decide which would be a better fit for him. We have looked at the Usborne Encyclopedia of World History at our library, and he really likes the format of text and pictures. He says that the pictures help him understand the material better. From what I have read, it seems that the Usborne is better for the lower elementary grades, and the Kingfisher for the upper. He reads/comprehends at least at a six grade level (assessed before summer) and over the summer has started reading some adult books, so I would like to get something that is appropriate and somewhat challenging. Therefore I was leaning toward the Kingfisher. For those who have experience with the Kingfisher, do they have the same type of labeled photos as the Usborne? Any recommendations on which would be better?

Kingfisher History Encyclopedia
    Kingfisher Illustrated History of the World
    Usborne Encyclopedia of World History

P
    P
    If i were in the US and postage etc were not a problem i would just collect second hand versions of all three. I have white usborne one by Anna Millard and aseven book set by Kingfisher. The Usborne one is definately younger but i think it is younger than the other usborne ones too.

C
    C
    I was going to say buy the kingfisher and check the usbourne one out of the library as needed. Here as long as no one requests it you can check it out for three weeks and renue it three times. So twelve weeks total. Return it and if you need it check it out again. But not true if someone else wants it.

B
    B
    We have the "Usborne illustrated Atlas of World History" which doesn't look as "babyish" as the one you asked about. I'm not sure why they call it an "Atlas". It has more pictures than maps. It doesn't go into a ton of detail and it's not a thick book, but it's written probably at a 6th grade level. Just as an example, it has about 12 paragraphs written about the "Mongols" on two pages, complete with several pictures of people and buildings and a bunch of small maps, as well as a timeline of events.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    I'm hoping to buy just one of them because of the amount of money we already spend on books. Reading is the favorite activity of the DC in my house. Cookie, unfortunately the Usbirne book is a reference book at our library and can't be checked out.

I
    I
    Have you checked online for used books? Amazon, Alibris, Barnes & Noble, and others list used books available from a number of independent sources... some books cost as little as three cents plus about 5 Dollars US for postage/shipping.

C
    C
    Our library usually has one of those in reference as well as some for circulation. It was a good idea. How often do you go to the library...we went once a week as homeschoolers. I still would buy a higher level book and use the reference book once a week at the library as needed.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Thanks for the suggestion, Cookie. We go to the library at least once a week, but we don't normally have time to sit there and read. I'll probably buy the Kingfisher so that he can grow into it as I'm afraid he would quickly outgrow the Usborne. Thanks for all the great advice.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent