Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 245 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    Originally Posted by polarbear
    I haven't found that having more teachers makes anything worse; it helped us because we could avoid situations like I mentioned above. What helped us also was going in with very clear accommodations, documentation of need, and a reasonable expectation that the accommodations we were asking for could actually take place. The actual plan wasn't technically written at the meeting, it was agreed upon and the 504 coordinator drafted it after the meeting was over, then circulated it to us (parents and student) to be sure it reflected our understanding of what was said at the meeting.

polarbear
    I've only been to two 504 meetings. The first was very friendly and the accommodations put in place were largely unnecessary. At that time (DS was in fourth grade, I think), the 504 coordinator said it was important to consider this document would also go to MS, and wrote it with that in mind.

The second was called by teachers mid-year last year and was kind of awful. There were eight of us crammed into a small office, not around a table, couldn't even look at each other to discuss. It seemed the reason for the meeting was to remove what accommodations were currently on the 504 (and not being followed). The 504 Coordinator didn't allow that, and in fact added things--while explaining that these were "very standard" for ADHD to the teachers. The only thing I could think was that the teachers were obliquely trying to give DS the boot. I could be wrong, perhaps they thought he was intentionally being a pain in the neck and didn't need special treatment.

DS' 504 is inadequate but with a few minor tweaks will help keep his head above water. It is very low-demand on teacher. The only things the teacher is asked to do is accept assignments via email, extended time for incomplete/missing work, check his planner, and respond to a weekly check-in email from me.

I would like to add some things based on some unfortunate situations last year, that are also low-demand on teacher (IMO). I think it would be difficult for a reasonable person to argue with these: preferential seating, no screaming and threatening DS in front of peers, a quiet place to test, and maybe a pass to counselor as needed?

(Basically--he needs a behavior plan. His behaviors aren't extreme but in aggregate cause trouble.)

The more I think about it, the more obvious it seems that he needs an IEP with goals and some support. Ideally, the accommodations would be things he needs in place NOW while we work toward more independence on managing his schoolwork. I think he can learn to do these things, but he is delayed in EF and needs help learning them, in context.

I will make a third attempt to get educational evaluation this year, but for now we need 504 and it needs to be implemented consistently.

Last edited by eco21268; 08/07/15 02:59 AM.
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by eco21268
    [quote=polarbear]
    I will make a third attempt to get educational evaluation this year, but for now we need 504 and it needs to be implemented consistently.
    Getting teachers to implement it consistently is going to be a constant battle. Implemented a 504 at the beginning of last years for DS16. DS's English teachers (of which there was 3 because of maternity leave issues) ended up following the IEP and DS ended up with a good grade in the class. The other class it majorly affected was history. That teacher never came to the meetings, didn't really implement the IEP because it didn't fit with the way he did assignments/graded the class. Even after small meeting that included his counselor he never had any accommodations.

E
    OP Offline
    E
    We had back-to-school night last night, but unfortunately were not able to get DS' new schedule--so I don't know who his teachers are or if the baseball class is happening this semester or next (I'd forgotten it's a half credit).

504 mtg is set for the 24th and it sounds as if there will be more school personnel there and fewer teachers. Overall--this seems like a win. I've been a bit more assertive than last time and specifically asked for several things to be addressed ahead of time. 504 coordinator stated she is hoping to have special ed process coordinator in attendance and also school psych. I have never interacted with the school psychologist...and hope this means something positive is going to happen.

Appreciate all the advice. I just want DS to be reasonably successful in school. The idea of having to constantly monitor everything is...overwhelming.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM