Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (mithawk), 332 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    R
    OP Offline
    R
    I know a girl, who's English teacher, has bad grammar, and critizes english, she's stuck in 6th grade, even though she's at 10th grade level. Anyway, in this class, she was told to circl letters that are/ should be capitalized. In other classes, she sits there and trys to take the borringnes, and even though the homework is easy, she has such a quantity on some nights, she's up all hours getting it done. Of course this is nessessary, because otherwise she'll have bad grades, and people will say she's not gifted, and won't exept her in private school next year. Her prior school had the nerve, to tamper w/ her standerlized test scores. And these both are model schools! Share with me some stories about the situations you here about.~Thanks! wink

I know for myself that dull assignments which don't require much though are very difficult for me to complete will with good attention to detail. I have seen this with other people who are "gifted." I'm one of those people who hated being a kid and loves being a grown up, because, although every job has "some" dull parts that are difficult, I can decide for myself if the dull parts are worth the good parts! Reminding myself of the "pluses" and "minuses" has been a big help, sometimes writing it down helps the most. If you want to write down your plus and minus list here, I'd love to read it. Here is mine, for today:
    (Plus) the money, 1 hour lunch with unlimited internet access, total thrill from daily helping people in great need, fabulous stories - getting to know and love people who I would never get a chance to hang with otherwise, audio books in the car.
    (Minus) Long drive, could make more money elsewhere, fear I'll miss the money I didn't earn later, come home too tired, too much dull paperwork, not enough time to hand with friends and family.

I liked reading Gifted Survival Guide because it taught me about Advocacy, have you read it lately?

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    R
    OP Offline
    R
    pluses: Findding a real Spanish larning program
    Minuses: Local school stinks, but everyone has been brain-washed into thinking it's excelent. shocked

A
    A
    All that I have ever wanted to do is teach. I stay at work 4 hours everyday after school lets out...I work all with students who come diverse background and they show this academically and socially, but it doesn't stop me from believing in them. Today I was told that because I teach science, which in Mississippi has proven not to be important, to just give my students the grades or in exact words, "Make sure they get a passing grade of an 80 or above." What am I suppose to do?

Val Offline
    Hi Rainbowrite,

Just wondering: what is your purpose for asking these questions? Are you doing an assignment?

Cheers,

Val

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent